Wet Felting, has anyone tried to do this?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Biita, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

I just found 3 huge bags of sheeps wool in the barn an remembered I had seen a demonstration done at the Viking museum about wet felting. Now the problem is I have never done this, but I have been researching on how to do it. If anybody out there has tried this before please, please let me know what you did an how it turned out. I'm going to try to make just a scarf, something simple, but alot of input would be greatly apreciated.....

Heres the best site I found so far, but if anyone has a better one, I would be so greatful,, I think this might be fun to do!

http://www.owning-alpaca.com/felting-wool.html

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I have never felted, but I'm confident that you can accomplish whatever you want to! I'm looking forward to seeing the results. :D

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have never wet felted but I have felted a couple of things after I knitted them, namely two purses and a sweater, but that was by accident :eek: .

You could check thru yahoo groups to see if you could find a fiber arts group to join just to have someone to bounce questions off of while you are doing the felting.

Good luck. Out of curiousity are they fleeces or cleaned, skirted and carded wool...drool, I have got to learn to use my spinning wheel. :rolleyes:

5. Biita

Did I say this was fun,,lol. I lied. But maybe with time it will get easier,, Oh my goodness did I make a disaster. The wool i found was carded sheeps wool that has been sitting in the barn all sealed up for over 25 yrs!! Well I just can't have that, so I had to try something. I do have a spinning wheel here but I'm not even going to attemp that. So Kolbjørn has a scarf now,, his comment to it all,," well if i sweat at least i won't have to take the scarf off " bless his heart,,lol.

My first attempt at wet felting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ohh what a mess!!! lol.

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Looks like a fairly untidy hobby, I must admit. Congratulations on your scarf.

7. Biita

ohh it was,, my fingers were like prunes, an cut up,,there has got to be an easier way,, i just haven't found it. :D I think what i made was pillow stuffing, :D

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

9. Biita

thanks toni, maybe i should give this a try. the other way was fun, kind of, but it was messy as can be. i bookmarked this so as soon as i find a needle i'll be roaring to go! :D

10. Droopy

Biita, why not use thin latex gloves, you know the kind surgeons use? They might help your fingers heal and you can still wet felt.

11. Biita

I actually tried that droopy, we keep a box here for when we work on the house or outside, but the latex kept making little pils balls, then i would have to stop an try to get those off. so i just went ahead with the bare hands. i did try it again today just a little ago, an i found if i use more soap, like grønnsåpe (all natural green soap for those who read here) it was better an didn't cut at all. and my hands were soft afterwards!!
    :stew2:

12. Droopy

So the trick is grønnsåpe, and lots of it? My girls wet felted at school and I remember they used that too.