What are your September gardening tasks?

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Frank, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

September is the month when Autumn/Fall traditionally begins. What gardening tasks do you find yourself doing every September?

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well I've actually done most of them already this month. :-D I've cut back all my shrubs and trees and given a 'haircut' to any plants that seemed to be a bit messy. The lawn is all neatly trimmed and new bark mulch has been laid. I think all that I need to do now is plant more bulbs ready for spring next year and, of course, keep up to date with weeding. Oh - almost forgot - clean out the pond before the water gets too cold!!!! :D

4. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I will move by bearded irises this month, they are not doing well in the present location. I am rooting and transplanting some things. The daffodils can wait till next month to go in the ground. It is too early here to worry about the cold. Other than that just general cleanup and preparing the ground for a new bed I am putting in this spring.
    P.S. Don't tell Reggaefan about the new bed, he doesn't know yet. :-o

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My lips are sealed. ;) ;)

Advertisement
  6. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

I think he might know now!! :eek: lol!!

I have sooo much work that needs to be done in my gardens!! I need to pull out all the dead zinnias and red salvia!! I need to weed like crazy and I need to think about what bulbs need to be planted for next Spring!!
    Oh Cajunbelle what time of year do I need to plant Daylilies? Next year I would love to have lots more after seeing all your beautiful ones!! I have a few daylilies that my mama gave me after moving here. They are a bright orange color!! I am in the same gardening zone as you (8b).

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't know about every September since last year was a total waste of time because of "you know what" and the two years before that I really didn't have many plants out there except the cotton and the hollyhocks.

But now this year, I have been removing the dead annuals and a couple of perennials that just couldn't make it. Doing weeding along the way.

Also, started digging up Glad bulbs to be replanted along the fence. Tomorrow I will be digging up my precious Iris bulbs and moving them.

8. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

We are trying to baby annuals through another couple of months by cutting them back hard. We are also trying not to pull those brown and dead looking perennials because maybe, just maybe they will reappear next spring. This September is certainly different than last when we were not just gardenless, we were homeless.

Jan

9. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

There are no secrets on the Stew

P.S. Don't tell Reggaefan about the new bed, he doesn't know yet. Surprised

10. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Sorry jubabe, I didn't see your post earlier.

Daylilies can be transplanted almost any time of the year, with early spring and fall being the best times. Just make sure is you transplant them in the fall you give them time to develope a good root system before your first freeze.