What do I do with these rose bush babies?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Ronni, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Our sweet Stewie friend Mart was kind enough to send me some rose bush cuttings through the mail. They were a bit dismal looking by the time they arrived, but I followed her instructions to the letter, and after they dropped pretty much all of their leaves :eek: and I thought they were done for, three of the 4 started putting out new little baby shoots!! Yay! :like:

Lookit these cute little baby shoots!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here they are several days later:
    [​IMG]

The one in the very forefront of the photo is the only one that doesn't seem to be coming back. But I'm still caring for it diligently, just in case.

So my question now is what do I do with these little baby plants as we move into the colder season. They're currently on the back porch, getting some sun but not all day sun. As they continue to grow, it's also going to continue to get colder here .... Nashville TN Zone 6B ...

Will they just go dormant after a while? Should I plant them or leave them in their pots till next season? I don't know what to do with them! And I really don't want to do the wrong thing and kill them. :oops: Help!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I can't help you with your roses but wanted to congratulate you on rooting them, something I've never managed to do. Kudos to you! :like:

Philip Nulty and Ronni like this.
  4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Thank you honey, but the kudos rightfully go to Mart, not me!! When I got the cuttings, they already had teeny tiny roots thanks to her hard work!!

I am proud of myself though, that I managed to piggyback on that hard work of hers and keep them alive!!!! Not that that's a really big deal I know, but I'm still such a neophyte at this gardening stuff that I take my wins, however small, wherever I can get them! ;)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. kate

kate In Flower

Interesting topic so I am going to BM this post.
    I am trying to root an Acer cutting, too early to look yet.
    Your rose cuttings are looking great Ronnie!
    K

Philip Nulty and Ronni like this.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Just take them out of the pot and plant them. Let them grow as much as possible before a hard freeze. Mulch around them but leave at least half the growing part above the mulch. These are old fashion roses so are pretty cold hardy. Remember that under the soil it is warmer than on top of the ground. The roots will continue to grow till spring. Then we will see if they are tough enough to survive,! Maybe overwinter one if you have a sunny window sill but put the one to overwinter in a good size pot so the roots can develop.

7. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Mart, thanks for the response. What kind of sun conditions are best? Anyone?

Have to add that I get confused about the sun exposure stuff. I mean, the kind of sun they're going to get right wherever I plant them will NOT be the same kind they're going to get next season in the middle of summer.

This gardening stuff is confusing!! o_O

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Most all roses are full sun plants. This time of year its not hot enough to cause problems. By next year they will have a root system established. Just keep them watered for another month or so.

carolyn and Philip Nulty like this.
  9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Roses can take full sun, hot summer with not a single whimper. The less warm sun they get at your location at this time of the year will 'tell' them that it is time to begin going into dormancy for the coming winter and that is what they need.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Congrats Ronnie! Let's hope they make it through the winter. My suggestion is to be sure to mark where you plant them....they are so tiny.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Thanks everyone. The original three of the four are still thriving, putting out new leaves etc. That one that didn't have any foliage in the original photo still doesn't have any, so I'm thinking it's a goner. But honestly, given that they traveled through the mail to me, with all that rough handling from the post office, and then got lost for a couple days before they even got to me, and THEN had to wait another three or four days before I transferred them to the pots they're currently in....well, I'm amazed, honestly, that even ONE made it!!

I need to decide where to plant them. They'll go in Ed's garden I think, and it is still very much a work in progress, so it's hard to know where to put them because they may not stay there as I work on the garden and reclaim the few flower beds, and just get everything more in shape.

If I need to move them some time next season, will that be a problem?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Ronnie, I move plants all the time....not that they like it though! I think it would be okay. It will slow their growth, probably, but if you be sure to keep an eye on them, shade them from too much sun after the move, water, etc they should be ok.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  13. mart

mart Strong Ash

Just try to move them before it gets blazing hot. They need to get a root system going before mid summer heat hits. Once established they are easy keepers and drought tolerant. They will shed leaves if it gets really dry but they come right back after a good rain or watering. They are tough plants !

hummerbum likes this.
  14. granbonnie

granbonnie New Seed

I have heard banana peels are good for roses.

15. Cayuga Morning

@Ronni how are those rose cuttings of yours?

16. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Thanks for asking :) Two of them survived the winter!! I'll take photos next time I'm over at Ed's and you can see.

Cayuga Morning likes this.