What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I think I have the backyard pretty much complete. Still have to build and plant the spiral herb bed but that will be done in the Fall as it turns out since summer is returning later this month and I only have the early mornings next week to get anything done outside. We will be gone week after next on our Anniversary trip and when we get back summer will most likely have settled in for what usually seems like forever.

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Watered the greenhouses... watered the high tunnel.... did I mention I watered? I sold a boatload of hanging baskets to people shopping for their mothers. I watered some more. I moved hanging baskets to the basket racks as I sold from there, condensed the baskets in the new tunnel as I shifted most of my hanging baskets to there this Spring as we got it finished. I weeded with the push cultivator, laid the new header line for all the drip tape..... and then went and watered again. I am tired.

3. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

Still very soggy after the rain so maybe late this evening more likely we cn plant the muscaydine grape vines and lantanas and etc we picked up on sale at the nursery last week.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I rigged a sling for the pumpkin in the compost pile. For some reason the largest pumpkin decided to escape and was hanging over the top board. Sensing impending disaster, I made a sling and attached the sling to a support post. I just hope a 4'x4' is strong enough to hold that pumpkin!
    I weeded two rows of beans that I could reach from the path, but like Cajuncappy, the soil was pretty soggy so I decided to wait until tomorrow and let the garden dry out a bit.

Advertisement
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I watered everything this morning. My gardens have had no rain since April 26 and then it was less than 1/3rd inch. I will be watering every day for the next week hoping to get everything hydrated enough to do without me for the 5 days we are out of town week after next.
    Everything in our yard crunches when you walk on it and the soil (black clay) is concrete hard.

6. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Yesterday, I went to the garden and inspected the hail damage. Luckilly the damage was minimal. I then transplanted 30 capsicum and 10 aubergines. Today I transplanted 30 tomatoes and planted potatoes. we harvested lettuce and strawberries and Damask roses.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Watered and watered and watered some more. shocking isn't it? Had a afew customers... planted up a few red geranium hanging baskets since I am out of them... I am recycling hanging baskets to so I have none left so I am gleaning the poorest looking baskets and emptying them out which happen to be a few begonias which the roots have grown very well but no new growth on the plant. just a stem and the leaves. Watered then I got out the anti-transpirant and sprayed all the vegetable plants that I am going to plant in my garden and all the ones for sale to hopefully keep them from wilting down in the coming week from the excessive heat....then we planted up 4 rows of peppers and a row of tomatoes. tired.this was yesterday, but it didn't post...

Today though... I watered watered and watered dome more.. tomorrow same story. we got a bargain offered to me for greenhouse benches though, so, I went and looked and took them up on the offer. 5.00 each. I bought 6 and I think I will get 6 more..... maybe more. we tilled up the beans we planted about 2 weeks ago as it turned cold and wet and they didn't germinate very well. replanted those and planted watermelons, cantaloupe, zucchinis,beets and carrots for the markets. moved cages into the new high tunnel to put on the tomatoes and put cages on the ones outside.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    DeepWoods and Odif like this.
  9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Each time I read Carolyn's garden activities, I get tired, also envious.:smt002
    Yesterday I got the tomatoes cultivated and picked lettuce. I keep thinking "this is the last picking" but the lettuce, especially the Midnight Ruffles, just keeps coming.
    Today it's raining gently, so I'll spend the morning in the kitchen making knot rolls, and hoping I can deadhead roses this afternoon.

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Sorry Jane. I don't mean to make anyone tired just reading. ....I am really tired getting it done though. Today was the same watering story. Water water water and water again. We covered the strawberry high tunnel this morning with aluminet and put bird netting along the sides to keep out the robin thieves. They try every berry and say mmmm that one was good and so was that one and let me taste this one and that one... Oh they were all good. I am sooo full I can only eat a bite of each one......sincerely.....robin redbreast.

Editing just to say.. I hate autocorrect on the phone... it inserts words you don't want or spelled cuz it doesn't think that is what you want.. sorry for any mis-words in my posts... I have terrible internet so I have been using my phone more and it makes crazy words or sentences sometimes.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    kbsrt410 and Frank like this.
  11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

got a spider bite yesterday. on the back of my thigh. right where you sit on a chair at the edge of the seat. I remember brushing it off thinking it was a mosquito but I guess it wasn't. it is the size of the palm of my hand. coconut oil mixed with baking soda compress yesterday and iodine-povidine solution today...seems to be working like a charm.

12. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

It's after 9 am and the grass is still wet with dew a good example of why I refer to it as the steamy south. Soon as it dries I'll gas up my ole push mower and go for my weekly stroll. I kinda wish I had one of those wrist thingys to see how far I go pushing several miles of round and round for sure. Some of my neighbors go to the gym and walk around the hood then ride their yards. I never got that. Cutting my yard is a 4 hour sweaty workout course I hafta take several breaks. Trust me its a great weekly work out.

carolyn likes this.
  13. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Spent 5 hours out in the yard yesterday weeding the berry patch. That makes it sound like it's a huge area, but its only 3ft x 14ft.
    It involves moving the rock border (varying sizes of field stones) and most of the weeding is the old fashioned stooped over or hands and
    knees type. So, needless to say I can barely move today. Sadly I ran out of time and still have a small area to finish up.
    I tied up some of the blackberry vines that were attempting world domination. (If only I had heeded Sjoerd's advice more closely on his berry
    tutorial) . Now where is that heating pad.....

marlingardener and carolyn like this.
  14. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

I know the feeling it took me 6 hours to weed wack yesterday. all around all the garden boxes drive way storm drains etc. Today 45 mins so far at mowing hadda come in for a big glass of water. the humidity is very high and ya gotta be careful not to over heat. Gona take a break and head out to mow under our big plum trees we let the branches grow very low to make for easier plum picking but a real tough job mowing.

carolyn likes this.
  15. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Spent most of the day putting the plastic onto our tomato house, and I managed to transplant 50 suchrine lettuces.