What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

New note to add to my file:
    root veggies - must watch calendar

I've been so used to planting above ground veggies, that I never pay attention to the calendar.

That means I have to go back to my blog to see what day I planted them and do the math. Oops.
    Thank God I made use of the blog feature!

Frank and razyrsharpe like this.
  2. razyrsharpe

razyrsharpe Seedling

wow. my garden is growing crazy fast. i just picked (3rd or 4th) a collander full of snow peas. i have two cherokee purple tomatoes on the plant, golf ball size. all the tomatoes and about half the peppers have blossoms! i had to stake several tomatoes and peppers up because they were leaning over. watering tonight for about two hours. whew!

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Picked my remaining 3 peaches
    :stew2:

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yesterday...I planted 50 more pepper plants and 2 pounds of sweet corn seed. planted my MIL's flowerbed with marigolds, a bunch more annuals in my one bed, watered the bedding plants, of course and few more things.

Today was quiet. We picked strawberries, zucchinis, broccoli, cabbage and asparagus. Packed up the van and went to my first Wed. market for the Summer. then it started raining at 1:00 and has rained since then and is still raining a nice soft rain. Great for watering in the corn we planted last night.

razyrsharpe likes this.

Advertisement
  5. razyrsharpe

razyrsharpe Seedling

two full hours of weeding an okra patch i forgot to mulch. dangit. i spread more manure/straw mixture around last of the squash plants. we have squash coming now! tomatoes and peppers are beginning to fruit. snow peas have been picked four times already. pole beans are slow this year, but steady.

6. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

Walked by and looked...
    Didn't get much of a chance to do anything.
    Another perfect weekend gone by without a chance to play in the dirt!

7. cherylad

I had a very productive 4-day weekend. Mowed and trimmed everything. Cleaned out the large container "pond" and fed the water lilies. Trimmed back and cleaned out the blackberries. Made supports for the cantaloupes that I'm trying to grow vertically. Watered. Up-potted and potted up a few more things for the plant sale. Sprayed nasty weeds along the fence. Trimmed branches from trees that were hanging too low. Pulled a few weeds here and there.
    Sprayed everything for bugs and grasshoppers. And sprayed the peach trees.

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Watched it rain! I did get to the garden to pick squash and tomatoes before the rain came. So far we've had about 1/2" and the rain barrels are all topped off.
    This afternoon I'll sort out my canning supplies to see what will be needed (soon, I hope!).

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Haven't done much in the garden in the last couple of weeks, way too hot and with no rain our black clay soil is like concrete....but with rain it's like condensed soup right out of the can and you can't garden in that.

This morning we had just over and inch of rain and it's coolish, if it's like this tomorrow I will finally get out back to do some cleaning and replanting.

10. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Eight ball anyone.

Dug turnips, cut Swiss chard and picked the last of the peas this morning. All in the freezer now. Three of the 8 ball zucchini headed there. Stuffing one for dinner.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

11. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Ate 2 strawberries. I think its time to clear out the strawberry plants and redo them somewhere else. I lined the recently build compost bin with weed fabric. The pallets I used had a few slats missing and I didnt want to worry about bits and pieces falling out.

Started digging an edge around an area I want to turn into a bed.

Need to do some pruning too if I want my salvias to rebloom. Theyre so pretty but they dont last very long when it rains (all the petals get blown off) :/

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Picked strawberries. had a few customers and sold some bedding plants and flowers. planted cucumbers and laid ground cover between the rows in the garden. I think I laid about 700 foot of ground cover today. That means no weeding (or very little) between any of the rows.

13. cherylad

Carolyn, what kind of ground cover did you use?

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I buy a roll of woven black plastic type cover. It is fairly lightweight. I can easily carry a 300 foot roll with no problem. It comes from the place I buy all my other greenhouse and garden stuff, but it has no label on it, so I can't tell you specifically what brand/type it is.

15. cherylad

Ohhh.... when you said ground cover... I was thinking a type of plant.
    :oops: