What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Just finished scraping leaves off another bed where the Mealy Sage is putting out new green, the Siberian Iris are getting fat with buds, the Autumn Joy Sedum is about 5 inches tall, the Yarrow stays green all winter even in the snow and ice these last two winters and has new growth, the Coneflowers are sending up shoots, even the Canna are peeking above ground already.
    Also found two ant colonies living in some garden decor....powdered them down real good.

And got the metal bucket tower replanted with Petunias where the dead herbs had been last year....except for the Thyme, it's coming back :eek:

Jewell likes this.
  2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

While my husband was mowing I got into the small seasonal vegetable garden and pulled carrots and cut spinach.
    Then while he was mowing the paths to the pond, I cut back two ornamental grasses, did some flower bed weeding, and took more of our seedlings outside to start hardening off.
    I can always find something urgent to do that leaves him with the mowing!

Jewell likes this.
  3. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Made and put the top on the tomato cage/chicken pen.
    Fed the chickens .

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

:D :D :D Rich says if a squirrel get in we buy chickens.

Sjoerd, Jewell, carolyn and 2 others like this.
  4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

You sure aren't fooling around keeping those squirrels away!

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That chicken pen is smashing, Donna. I am so terribly green with envy it is almost scandalous. :D

That looks really good. Pity you were forced to build it. Say...do you guys eat squirrels?-- chuckle.

Today was a great day here. It was the day when free compost was on offer from de municipal green waste processing plant. They supplied nice, thick and tough plastic bags, as well as shovels to shovel it into the bags with.

My bride and I went to the place after clearing out the back end of the vehicle. We got 12 huge bags full of steaming, black compost in the auto and then drove back over to the lottie complex. There was a team busy there chipping tree branches. It was a busy day all round.

We transported the load to the garden and stored it in two strategic points for spreading later. I managed to pull my back today, so I shall have to see when I can do that. The sooner the better.

The first place will be in the greenhouse, then the whole flower garden and what is left over will go onto the veggie plots.

In spite of the strong winds-- with the sun being out, my bees were flying and foraging. They are looking good.

I had to tie-in some Clematis twigs here and there The wind knew how to reach in and work them loose somehow.

Things are early, but looking good here. `Tjonge jonge--I can hardly wait to start spreading the compost!

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  6. cherylad

Yesterday I was able to get alot done. Got all of the mowing, weed-eating, trimming done... first time really this year. Then I spread 1/2 yard of mulch in the bed along the driveway.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Not much done here yesterday. I showed Randy the things I needed his help with, he made a list of bits and pieces he would need and we left to get lunch and run some errands. One errand led to remembering another and so on and so on, didn't get home until after 7 :eek:

Today is too windy and cold, maybe sometime next week :shrug:

Plus the race starts at 1:30 and I have 4 new magazines to read through.

8. razyrsharpe

razyrsharpe Seedling

busy this weekend! Laid out 2/3's of the horse manure / straw mixture onto the rows. in about three weeks i will turn it under with the tiller and we will be ready to plant seeds and seedlings.

i have found a goldmine for manure. we live near the camden, sc horse track where they run the Colonial Cup as well as the Carolina Cup steeple chase races. they have a pile of crap as tall as my house and twice as long! i could raid it for years and not dent it! also, it's FREE!!!

my compost pile will be exceedingly rich for the forseeable future. and i will use it to mulch and weed block as it fertailizes the plants at the same time. SCORE!

9. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I finished filling the smart pot with composted soil and planted 3 kinds of lettuce in it. I call it my salad bowl.
    Dug up 13 hybiscus and potted them up to sell.

Cheryl,
    I walked around the house this morning and counted 18 squirrels between my yard and the neighbors. So no I'm not fooling around with them anymore (I hope).

Sjoerd,
    It really has been a battle with the squirrels. I just hope this works. And as for eating them no we don't. They look to much like a rat with a bushy tail.

10. razyrsharpe

razyrsharpe Seedling

Donna, my wife feels the same way about squirrels. cats love to eat them we have found. as long as you dont mind seeing some squirrel parts here and there on occassion.

11. razyrsharpe

razyrsharpe Seedling

Donna, my wife feels the same way about squirrels. cats love to eat them we have found. as long as you dont mind seeing some squirrel parts here and there on occassion.

12. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Although it has been unseasonably cold here, we got out to trim a lot of dead out of a Pine tree. I wanted to get it done before the plants emerge in the beds so we wouldn't tromp on them. Then I raked all the pine needle debris out of the beds.
    It was 10°F here this a.m.!! That is just wrong for the end of March!!
    I have very few signs of spring. The Daffs, Crocus ,and Tulips aren't up, Forsythia is still asleep...
    *Patience*

This cold weather is not stopping our landscaping business though. Crews have been out for two weeks doing maintenance and mulching. I watch em from the truck ;)

Jewell likes this.
  13. cherylad

Got a little done today, but it's been windy and a little cool (upper 50s) and cloudy. And since I'm still not over that cold, I didn't think I should spend too much time outside. So, I got a few things planted. Up-potted some seedlings. Watered indoor plants. Moved a couple things back outside. Sure was hoping to get some weeding done. :'(

14. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Got a little perennial clean-up and dividing then did some bamboo litter clean-up. Filled the green bin for tomorrow's pick-up, and blew some of the fir needles off the driveway. Wish I could spend this next week working in the yard....oh well, hi ho, hi, ho it's off to work I go :stew1:

cherylad and Cayuga Morning like this.
  15. Darren12

Darren12 New Seed

Today I started cleaning up the leafs to make sure that I could put in a new flowerbed (or two, if I can get an affordable option) and I decided to clear off most of my lawn. I need to re-grass my lawn because there are a bunch of different dark patches after the colder seasons.