What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Sounds great CC. I am always very slightly startled at how big this country is and consequently how different the climate is from one locale to another.
    My husband & I spent the day getting the yard ready for winter: a final (hope so anyway) cut of the lawn & mulching of leaves, a coiling up & zip tying of sundry garden hoses (how did we get so many? Do they secretly multiply? Garden hose romance among the hostas? ), a raking of the driveway so leaves don't mat the snow blower, a readying of the snow blower in anticipation of a "snow event" (since went did weather become an 'event'?), etc.

My community garden plot is all but put to bed. I still need to layer compost on it, harvest the last of the swiss chard & kale. BTW my garlic is up too & looking good!

Does anyone know what one does with rhubarb? Cut it back before the snow flies?

CC: your description of a cold beer, moving blueberries and having a BBQ sounds so SUMMERY to my northern ears!

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

LOL couldn't stand the horrid humid heat das why we do stuff like dat in the fall down here in Cajun country.

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hey There Cayuga---Wait until the leaves have been frost-bitten and die. You then cut these off. You can leave these lie or not...but make a mulch of well-rotted manure or compost placed carefully around the crown, but not actually on the crown, because it may well rot if you do.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Ah! Thank you Sjoerd! I should have known I could count on you! I'll do it today. I have had a very successful composting year. One bin is full of very rich compost, another is of mix of great leaf mold & compost. Riches galore! Of course I shall have to dig around Ms Queen of Sheba to get at the compost. Ms QoS is a rejected hosta that I yanked out. The deer thought she was their own personal bowl of salad & she was always denuded. In disgust I yanked her out & threw her in the compost bin.......where she has THRIVED. Bigger than ever. Apparently deer don't like compost or they just have not figured out where she is. I don't have the heart to ditch her again, so I will just have to dig around her.

Re the rhubarb, some one told that that when picking rhubarb in the spring, you should pull the leaves off not cut them...I don't know why. Should I also do it that way in the fall?

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You can pull or cut those dead leaves now.Why not give them a gentle pull now. Hopefully they will easily let go and come out without a problem.

The very reason that it is advised to pull the leaf stalks out is so that there will not be a stump left over to rot. Most bits of the plant above ground will already be dead now, but indeed for safety sake try top pull them off.

If they absolutely will not let go with pulling then leave them and cut it off as close to the crown as you can. You probably already know that the correct way is to grasp the stalk low down, pull upwards as you twist.

Good luck meid!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    Cayuga Morning likes this.
  6. CJay

CJay In Flower

Well this wasn't today. But over the weekend before I pulled the last of my pepper plants I collected the last of them. 25 pounds accumulated throughout the season.

hummerbum and Cayuga Morning like this.
  7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Bagged leaves this morning....shoot, now I won't be able to hear the mailman walking up the driveway :( But that should cut down on some of the debris brought inside on bottoms of shoes.
    Wandered around the front garden and decided that I don't like the way most of it looks now. Most of the plants were loverly when first planted but now that they are mature, grown out of control and taking over I think many of them need new homes. I am planning a Huglekultur bed out back so many of them will find a new quieter way of life in the back yard instead of watching the cars go down the street from the front yard.

hummerbum and Sjoerd like this.
  8. Cayuga Morning

Ha! Toni! Hugelkultur!! Let me know how it goes!

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Actually I had not even heard of that name when I created two a few years ago. Not the mounded kind but using the same sort of technique....tree limbs, leaves, soil from unused pots, etc. That's how I created the north shade bed 5 years ago and the shade bed out back next to the shed last year. Now I have a larger area along the back fence that needs reworking so I thought I would make one there. Already have some tree branches that we cut down last spring, assorted dirt filled pots in waiting and have been saving bags of leaves. This weekend we are going to get some 4' x 8' sheets of corrugated tin to create the back wall along the chain link fence and some cinder blocks to make the other 3 walls.

10. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

I got 6 solar powered led lights mounted on the facia in the dark spots Hopefully that will spook the varmints that have been visiting due to the burning of the sugar cane fields

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

canning chicken tonight... not much in the garden right now.. but the greenhouse has cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers in it. I almost picked a cuke today.. but I refrained. I did pick up a free pressure canner but before that I was at two different grocery stores and got chicken breast for 1.49 a pound boneless skinless and chicken legs for 44c a pound.. all are getting canned tonight and tomorrow morning. I did 4 canner fulls tonight and still have about 10#'s left to do tomorrow. I picked celery and parsley out of the garden to use in the jars, too.

hummerbum and Sjoerd like this.
  12. CJay

CJay In Flower

Garden is officially done now. It froze Friday and Saturday night. I'm going to finish drying the rest of my peppers today and maybe go work in my shop. In reality I'll probably curl up with a book.

Cayuga Morning and hummerbum like this.
  13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Our first frost last night--chilly early this morning and the hens were all fluffed out. I picked green beans, peppers, and lettuce yesterday afternoon, just in case. So this morning I'm freezing beans and peppers, and wondering what to do with all that lettuce. Two people can eat just so many salads!

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

canning again today. I finished the major deal from Friday when I bought the chicken (14 more quarts), canned 9 pints of carrots and picked the jalapenos and med banana peppers in the greenhouse and canned those, too. still have plenty of banana peppers to pick but I have one more market... need to start getting ready for Thursday though.. finish cleaning the house and cooking food.

hummerbum likes this.
  15. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I got out in the garden for the first time since June 20th when I broke my ankle and elbow. I caused allow of pain for myself but it felt so good. We took 5 very large trailer loads to the local compost ditch.

20161119_131650.jpg
    20161119_131737.jpg
    20161119_131810.jpg
    It took 2 full days to do this. My phone counts my walking distance. It said I walked 5 miles on the first day and I never left the front gardens.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    carolyn, Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.