What is good and bad about these herbs? Do they spread?

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by HerbGod15, Apr 25, 2011.

1. HerbGod15

HerbGod15 New Seed

I'm just starting a large herb garden so I can sell some. Don't tell me that mint or lemonbalm spread because I already know that. And tell me if they spread a lot by re-seeding the next year.

"lemonbalm,peppermint,grapefruit mint, valerian root, horseradish, pleurisy root, cumin, carraway, poppy (california), lemon grass, angelica, costmary, cayenne, sage, pineapple sage, clary sage, hyssop, roman chamomile, thyme, and a few more" I have a LOT!

2. Loading...

3. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Valerian spreads by wind-distributed seed. Cut off seed head when just about ripe. Dry in paper bag. Collect root (the medicinal part) after seed.

Root is a busy part of this plant. Any fragment of root will regrow! Some kind of root barrier is in order.

HerbGod15 likes this.
  4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    HerbGod15
    Am only commenting on the ones I grow or are in my yard. This is what I have found to be true for my location.
    Lemonbalm seeds anywhere and everywhere.
    Mints are best divided for more and are great for pots since they tend to be invasive.
    Horseradish: am told that it can be invasive. Divide roots and pot them for starts. Some people have difficulties getting the roots started.
    Poppy (california) tons of seeds in each pod same for the ornamental (opium) variety. Will self sow where ever there is disturbed soil. Not a pot type of plant.
    Thymes all kinds multiplied easily by seeds and division. Great for pots
    Oreganos: seeds everywhere and easily divided. Great for pots. Can be a weed in my yard.
    Lavenders: seeds everywhere, tap root is very long so seed where you want it or in pots.

Good luck with your endevors. :stew1:

5. HerbGod15

HerbGod15 New Seed

Thanks! I was wondering about valerian root because it's my first time growing it. How long does it take for the root to be ready for harvest? Two years? Thanks for all your help.
    Ken

Advertisement
  6. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Ken,
    I have MS caused spasms. Valerian is sedating.

IMO it a good HS (hour of sleep) med for things like restless leg.

I found it took two full years + in NH USA, so it was the summer of year three before that roots were really big enough to be worth harvest, after bloom set.

Likes full sun and fairly sandy soil. Sandy soil will facilitate washing roots.

Depending on where you plan on selling valerian, selling seedling plants in 4" pots may also be an option. It has a fairly fragile leaf (as a seedling). Retail of this fairly fragile plant will go best from a permanent sales point vs loaded and reloaded off of a truck, at a farmers market.

Because seed of valerian is wind distributed (like dandylion) collect seed heads as soon as the first seed fly. it will self sow.

7. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

I wouldn't call horseradish invasive. i.e. it spreads and takes over. I've not seen mine spreading but its very difficult to remove once established i find is the bigger problem.

So pot it if you think you will be moving it.

8. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

California poppy seed like true poppy should be sown direct to field.

I never got a good crop in NH.

9. HerbGod15

HerbGod15 New Seed

Oh. I just started it in a seed starting mix and they came up fine.

10. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Yea, but they won't tolerate transplant at all.

Some plants don't like to have their feet fiddled with.

See my post on Paw paw...

11. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I wish peppermint and spearmints would be invasive for me. I get about two or three seasons if I am lucky. They just do not come back after that. I love mint. Wild horsemint grows all over the place, but it is not so lovely as peppermint or spearmint.

So far, I have never had poppies grow for me, despite trying all the advice by various experts. I would love to have some blue Himalayan poppies in my garden, or pink ones. It took me over 20 years to get hollyhocks to grow, no idea of why. They also hate to be moved.

I finally got lavender to grow last fall when I tried a friend's tip of starting the seed in wet paper towels, then transplanting. So far, I have several small lavender plants. I do so hope they grow and go crazy invasive on me too.

I hope your herb garden does well Herb. :stew1: