What is your favourite animal?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Raddang, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

Marlingarden has opened a thread which has lead to some discussion about animals in general. This question may have been posed recently, forgive me if that is the case, but what is your favourite animal, wild or domestic, and why?
    I love all animals and only this evening sat in my yard while one of our local foxes came for her strawberry jam sandwich supper and some chicken scraps. Foxes have a special place in my affection and we have had fox visitors for very many years. We have even treated them when there is mange in the skulk. But they are not my favourite animal.
    Elephants top the bill for me. I have stood face to face with them in India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia Thailand and Africa, and I am sure that when you look an elephant in the eye you see wisdom and understanding. In the wild they have their own social hierarchy led by a dominant matriarch, and when a death occurs, they show genuine mourning. Lovely creatures....

As a PS. We have former neighbours, now retired, who now live in India but return to the UK for several months each year. They just received a message from a brother in India that five elephants got into their garden and destroyed everything......I doubt that elephants are their favourites. :):)

stratsmom likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I love Wolves, they mate for life and don't take anything off anyone.
    I love Eagles and Hawks , they are so majestic.
    I love cats, the littler species that you can feel safe having in your home. But Panthers are very cool too.

stratsmom likes this.
  4. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

I hate cats, domestic ones anyway. Everything else is OK.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

As far as domestic pets go it's got to be dogs for me. Big cats and birds of prey (owls being a particular favourite) are my choice for wild creatures.

Advertisement
  6. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I love pretty much all animals. Wolves, foxes, Big cats, little cats, bears, deer (whitetail, red, elk, moose, etc, etc), and so many more. As for domestic dogs vs domestic cats, I'm much more a cat person. Dogs are ok but they're just too much like children.

stratsmom likes this.
  7. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

I love horses, I have been chasing behind them with a wheel barrow for years.

marlingardener likes this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I love most all animals with the exception of skunks, especially in the spring when all the rejected lovers throw themselves under car tires and perfume the area!
    My favorite is cat, with dog being a close second. Please don't tell my hens!

stratsmom likes this.
  9. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I love skunks, they're very sweet animals :) With a perfume like that, they dont need to be mean :smt043
    I got to cuddle a de-scented one once years ago. Their fur actually smells sweet <3

stratsmom likes this.
  10. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

My favorite is dogs though I like most domestic and wild animals but would prefer no voles, moles, or skunks near my house.

11. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I basically love all animals but my favourite domestic would be a dog followed by a horse. My favourite wild animal on land would probably be the elephant but if we're talking sea creatures I've always been fascinated by whales particularly Killer Whales.

12. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

We have a wonderful TV series in the UK Called SuperVet. This is about Professor Noel Fitzpatrick, an Irish vet, who performs absolute miracles to improve the life of injured and sick domestic and pet animals.
    In last evenings episode an 18 month old cat, called Peanuts, was brought to his surgery with severely deformed front paws. Noel designed metal implants so that he could amputate the deformed paws and give the cat the bionic implants. The result was amazing.
    This is a man who truly loves animals, will do anything within his power to give sick animals a better quality of life, and openly cries with sympathetic emotion when presented with very sad and sick animals.
    Look out for these programs on the various TV streams. And if you don't have a tear in your eye, you are not an animal lover......:)

13. Chrisle

Chrisle In Flower

I love dogs and cats but have neither. We had our lab almost 18 years and DH won't have another. He's not a cat guy either. In the wild I love the white tailed deer. We have plenty of them in our yard and I never get tired of watching them. An electric fence here is a must have or no gardens at all. Here's a family caught on the trail cam this morning. STC_0011.JPG

marlingardener likes this.
  14. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

@Chrisie They are lovely Chrisie. :like: We do have deer in many parts of the UK but I do not know of instances where they get close to homes. We reportedly have deer in woodland just a few miles from me and in all my 80+ years, I have never seen one. :)
    I too have a trail cam outback but all I get is foxes and badgers, but I like them both and some titbits, some peanuts and a large clean water birdbath helps to keep them looking healthy.....

15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Christie, we have deer, and see the evidence of them bedding down for the night in our pasture. We've only seen a deer once here--it ran from the pasture, through the barn lot, jumped the fence, and was off and away across the next field. Lovely creatures, but I'm glad they stay in the pasture and away from our gardens!

Chrisle likes this.
  16. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Lovely deer photo. We get lots of them here and they can be super destructive.

@Raddang - I've seen some episodes of the TV show you mentioned and that Vet has worked miracles. He is excellent +++.