What kind of pepper is this?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by toni, Nov 15, 2010.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I found this growing in the backyard, actually there are four of the plants contributing to this mass. I know it's a pepper because it smells like one and from the pain in my eye from the little bit of juice I didn't remember having on the finger I later used to rub my eye. :eek:
    I am guessing a bird or two planted the seeds for me and I really hope the bird didn't 'feel the burn' like my eye did.....poor bird.

[​IMG]
    Pepper plant ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]
    The pepper, maybe 3/8ths of an inch long ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, that looks like Chili Pequin or Bird Chili. Want to guess why it's called "Bird" chili? They are frequently planted by birds, especially mockingbirds who seem to love them. I don't know their rating on heat meter, but they are hot, hot, hot!

4. toni

Thanks MG, that's the name that kept coming to mind but I don't eat them or grow them so I wasn't sure. My hubby, his dad and our oldest daughter and her hubby love hot peppers...boy are they in for a surprise when I hand them some of these.

They are pretty much in the middle of the Scoville scale in hotness which puts them 10 times hotter than Jalapeno :eek:

15,000,000-16,000,000 -- Pure capsaicin

50,000-100,000 ----Bird's eye chili/Thai Pepper/Indian Pepper, Malagueta Pepper, Chiltepin Pepper, Pequin Pepper

0 --- No significant heat, Bell pepper, Cubanelle, Aji dulce

I think I will have to keep the ripe ones picked before the birds get to them. Since the Mockingbird really likes them, next year I will have to have several plants just to attract them to the garden.

5. halfway

halfway Seedling

Could be a tepin pepper strain as well. I just stumbled on them as well. a google "image" search may help as well. 8)

Advertisement
  6. toni

I found photos of the Tepin/Chiltepin Pepper but that doesn't give a conclusive ID. One photo showed the peppers as long and thin and others showed them looking just like mine, but then I found Chile Pequin looking just like mine too. And a site or two that use the two names for the same variety.

Peppers are difficult to nail down an ID on apparently.

But at least I know they are edible even if they are too hot for me to even consider eating. :eek:

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I think I would be afraid to try it -- somehow I just have a feeling it's like a little hot pepper bomb! Will you tell us how it is when you try it?

8. toni

It took my eye about 30 minutes to stop hurting when I forgot the juice was on my finger and rubbed my eye,....so I won't be trying it.
    I do plan on saving some seeds, I'll send you some and let you try it. ;)

I think it is the same type that my F-I-L used to grow, he would chop one up put it in a whole pot of Chili and that would fire it up pretty good.

9. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

LOL, anybody else up for some adventures in hot pepper-land?

10. halfway

halfway Seedling

Always. I have some red savinas and tepins drying out. I drink milk while looking at them. :D

11. halfway

halfway Seedling

I remember as kids picking hot jalapenos in our family's garden. I was about 10 years old and little brother was about 7.

Dad and I were rolling on the ground laughing as little bro emerged from the house screaming that his (insert body part name here) was on fire! I learned a lesson that day about handling hot peppers.

We still rib him to this day, LOL!!!