What should I do with my over crowded dill?

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by fish_4_all, May 18, 2010.

1. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I have a huge amount of Dill growing in one small bucket. I am not sure that I can keep it healthy enough for all of it, or any of it to produce seeds heads for pickling. There must be 20-30 of them in a 2.5 gallon bucket.

[​IMG]

Can I take the bunches, separate them and replant them? Is there anything special I should do if it can/should be done? Should I just start some more in another place and thin this one down so they have a chance to grow to maturity? Do I even have to worry about it?

It is in compost with slow release fertilizer in it so maybe it will all grow just fine if I can find a way to kinda hold them apart so they don't get disease from being so crowded.

2. Loading...

3. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

I should say that separating and replanting will be fine.

4. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

transplanting won't harm them,,,,but! Eat them now! they are still babies, and the taste is very sweet. Use on your potatoes, take a bunch and add to crabs or crayfish boils with some good strong brown beer, stuff fish with them,,,tons of ideas if you do not want to transplant. I love dill when it is that young. And when it is even younger, and the thinning out ones, we eat stewed with tomatoes, the whole things, no need to chop.

5. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

Thank you everyone. I learned something from this question. I've never transplanted dill. I've grow it from seed in the Spring and again in late Summer for Fall. I just broadcast some seed and then thin out all but three to five plants.

It's one of my husband's favorite garden plants. He loves those tall dill heads. I do too. But, maybe I can move some of my volunteers that always seem to come up where I need space for something else.