What to do with 20+ year old fertilizer

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by CyclingGardener, Oct 24, 2023.

1. CyclingGardener

CyclingGardener New Seed

I recently inherited 2 plastic pails of (I think) fertilizer that my dad probably bought 20+ years ago. One says 7-7-7 fertilizer and the other says 4-8-12 Perennial Fertilizer. I fear that I may have to just dispose of it (toxic waste?) and I am not 100% sure that the contents are what they say.

Any advice about how/whether to use it would be appreciated. I have included photos in case that will help with one or the other question. Thanks in advance.

4-8-12-small.jpg 7-7-7-small.jpg

2. Loading...

3. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Does it say what it is derived of like ammonium sulphate etc? No real shelf life on that stuff. Remember these are elements so they really do not break down but they may change state somewhat or gas out possibly. 232C is the decomposition temp for ammonium sulphate so doubt heat is a problem.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2023
    CyclingGardener likes this.
  4. CyclingGardener

CyclingGardener New Seed

Thanks for the advice. My dad transferred the fertilizer (and sand and road salt and...) to a large number of (minimally) labelled bins. These two bins say nothing more than what I put in the initial posting.

What I'm thinking of doing is just dilute it a lot and try it in a few test spots over the next few years.

Any thoughts on that plan?

Dirtmechanic likes this.
  5. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Grass will grow back.

6. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

I wouldn't use them on food crops, because you can't know if they contain pesticides that might get into the food.

You could sprinkle them around some perennials that you don't really like. If they die, you know it's bad.

Just thoughts.

Logan likes this.