what to do with a huge pile of dirt and some used boards...

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by AAnightowl, May 31, 2016.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Make a new raised bed!

This spring, DS has been really busy. He dug out 50 ft of dirt to make a new sidewalk between the front porch and the driveway... the dirt got hauled to the garden for lack of a better idea. I used some of it in existing raised beds, but there was still a huge mountain of dirt, and I was not wanting to move it further. He didnt like all the mud when it rains.

Also, my back deck wore out [I told him to water proof it more often, but ....] Anyhow, so he has been taking the whole thing apart, and we have a nice pile of used lumber for whatever.

And he bought himself some power tools to build a toy box for his first grandchild. Now he likes to play with his own new tools....

I have been very busy trying to get things planted in my garden, and kind of dismayed over that mountain of dirt next to my compost heap, and almost where I want to build a green house when I get to that project. I was thinking of just tossing some cantaloupe seeds in the pile, when I remembered those used boards just sitting in the side yard of my house...

So, I asked DS, can he please make me a nice 4' x 4' box for a raised bed around that dirt? He is working on it, but it was only half done yesterday. Hopefully, I can figure out how to post pictures without the url stuff like before. Otherwise, imagine a huge pile of dirt with weeds growing in it, and a nice big box around it. I will bury the weeds or toss them to the horse, and plant some cantaloupes in it.

Cayuga Morning and Frank like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

It takes a real gardener to see the possibilities in a pile of dirt and some used boards! I applaud your ingenuity, and I'm sure the horse will be grateful for the weeds. Let us see the result after your husband plays with his new tools.
    (Just a hint--when a husband wants a new tool, encourage him to get it. I've gotten all sorts of wonderful things when my husband got a new tool or two!)

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Now thats imagination for you. My cantaloupe are blooming and starting to run, yours will not be far behind.

5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

It is my SON who is doing all the work. DH is deceased. But I do appreciate all of his hard work. He even made a sprinkler for the raised bed. I didn't take the picture yet. We had a lot of rain last week.

I did move the dirt from the pile to the planter, which he parked next to the dirt, and got some more cantaloupe planted in it. I even have some dirt left over, so think I will get another old salt/mineral tub at the feed store. They are far sturdier than those rope handled tubs, and only $4. I have some herb seeds to plant, so perhaps I will put those in there?

I have some hot pepper seeds to plant. Will hot peppers affect the taste of other things they are planted with?