What's the hardest part of the gardening process?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Arturo Barrera, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Arturo Barrera

Arturo Barrera New Seed

I am working on a project for school regarding gardening, and I was curious to know what everyone found as the most difficult part of the process. Also mention what the biggest inconvinence is about the process.

Thanks for your time!

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

My garden is a labor of love and so even hard work and sweat aren't looked at negatively. You know that in the end it will be beautiful and worth it. I must add, though, that rabbits and other plant eating animals/insects that undermine my hard work really REALLY get my goat!

4. Arturo Barrera

Arturo Barrera New Seed

That's really helpful thanks! I asked the question to help my project, though I have not started gardening myself I am enthusiastic about it and my project is partially to encourage those who do not have the chance to garden because of space, time, or anything else but would like to.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Well, to answer the first part site preparation is the most difficult labor wise. Making sure the weeds are gone and the soil is nice and loose with your choice of additives, compost, dry leaves, manure ect. All of which will assist the plants in growth and top production. Let me commend you on doing this project. Given the world situation both governmental and economical I believe every one need to know how to feed and support themselves. And please learn how to cook and preserve food if you do not already know. Its sad that the schools are not placing more emphasis on these skills. The garden will not help much if you do not know how to prepare what you grow.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Certainly there is a lot of hard work and sweat but those are not difficulties, if you don't want to put the work and sweat equity into it then take up knitting. ;) You really need to love to garden or it won't work for you.

The only difficulty I found in my early years of gardening was learning to put down the books and magazines about gardening....most of them are written for weather and growing conditions that have no resemblance to ours here in north central Texas. When I started looking at the garden and asking myself what my great-great-grandmother would have done to get her gardening going, then I started having fun out there.

And if you are talking to future Texas gardeners make sure they find out which ecological region they are in. There are 11 in Texas and most of them are divided into sub-regions. http://www.abileneisd.org/cms/lib2/TX01001461/Centricity/Domain/1541/Ecoregions_of_Texas.pdf This is an example of the divisions but you can do a google search to find others.

I am in the Blackland Prairie region and there is a reason why they refer to it as 'Black' land....I garden in black clay. Even with amendments, some plant roots will extend out into the clay and if they can not tolerate it they will suffer. Stick with native plants as much as possible, in our drought conditions it's so much wiser and more responsible.

I have found out the hard and expensive way, that just because a plant is for sale in a garden center near you that doesn't mean it will grow and prosper in your area. Gardening is more rewarding when you follow natures rules instead of forcing your own will on the garden.

This may not be the information you were looking for originally but maybe it will help.

Frank likes this.
  7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I agree with everyone above. The most important thing is to build up your soil, not just once, but every year. Either talk to your gardening neighbors or, better yet, get a soil sample done so you know what you need to add. I'm going to add that many vegetables will also grow in larger containers.

8. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Great??? and great answers. I agree soil prep is so important but the love to garden is first and foremost. If you love gardening you will find the answers to each problem that comes along. It's a challenge and an education but worth it all.

marlingardener likes this.
  9. Arturo Barrera

Arturo Barrera New Seed

That's really helpful thanks! That seems to be the most common answer to that question. I am slowly learning more about cooking, unfortunately I have not learned as much as I would like but I know enough to fend for myself. I agree with you that it is important to learn to be self supportive and that is a big part of this project. I think you'd be glad to know that in the past 5 years there has been a huge increase in gardening the younger demographic. There is also an increase in the amount of elementary school gardens which I think is one of the best things a school can do for young students. I hope to see that trend continue over the years.

This information definately helps, I completely agree with you about trying to working with nature and I will try to include research on native plants. The reason I asked this question was to facilitate gardening for people. I know you said it takes real passion and I think many people may have it but may not discover it until they try it, and I think people may not try it as much because they may think they don't have the means. I am really grateful to be getting great information from someone who is as enthusiastic as you, thanks again.

What kind of vegetables are you growin?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
  10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Arturo, I find the most difficult part of the gardening process to be the frustration of living with 'critters' who demolish my plantings. In our area, we have had an explosion of the deer population. Unwittingly I have developed a smorgasbord for deer. My property apparently now has neon signs 'Eat Here!! Eat Here!!' It is so frustrating to go out in the morning to survey the garden only to discover yet another 5 plants eaten down to their roots! Added to that is the fact that the deer bring deer ticks which bring lyme disease & it is a real problem.
    BUT! Gardening (like all things) teaches us life lessons. Like 'Don't rail against the fates.' I am working on reducing my garden's attractiveness & figuring out ways to repel the marauders. I am attempting to go with what is, rather allow frustration to take over. I find there is much to be learned from the process of gardening. Gardening takes time & can teach us a lot, not just about plants & the natural world, but life lessons too.

11. aseedisapromise

aseedisapromise New Seed

The hardest thing for me is to practice restraint. This is kind of like what Toni was saying and staying in bounds of what your climate and soils can support, but also what space you have and ability to do the necessary work. Maybe someone who has physical problems shouldn't really be planting 100 cultivars of iris. People who garden often gripe about the folks who use plastic or silk flowers stuck in the dirt around their house, but I see it as an effort by a person with constraints trying to have some flowers somehow. May I never have to go that route....

2ofus and Cayuga Morning like this.
  12. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

For me it's weeds and seed germination. Plus everyone above have valid points.

13. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

All good answers, I would like to add that I find the waiting hard. Trying to be patient while things sprout and grow.

14. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

You asked "What vegetable am I growing?". I grow tomatoes, carrots, onions, green beans, chard, peas. zucchini, asparagus, rhubarb, corn, cucumbers, beets, and dill weed. Plus lots of flowers since they feed my soul!

15. James White

James White New Seed

Hardest part for me is just getting started each year. I love to plan but it's just difficult to get my plans to plant...so to speak ;)

For example, this year I wanted to do hugelkultur beds and companion planting. I make all these elaborate plans for my garden that are awesome but sometimes so complicated that I procrastinate in starting because I want to get it just right!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
  16. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Start small, grow your garden as your knowledge grows. Soil prep and feeding (yes, feed your soil) is the MOST important thing you can do. Compost, aged manures, mulches are all important. Healthy soil equals healthy plants.