Which herbs are easiest to grow

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by Polly, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

I am thingking about starting a small herb garden. Any suggestions on the easiest ones to start with? Should the garden be a raised bed or in a container or just along with the vegatables in my husband's garden? Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

2. Loading...

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I guess that depends. I have chives, thyme, oregano, sage, parsley, rosemary and lemom balm right now. Well, the oregano hasn't come back yet so maybe I only think I have it. I have basil, too but want to get another one to put outside. The basil is in the pig. I have mine in a bed and in pots. I guess it's where you want to have it. Lemom balm spreads every year so you might want to confine it if you grow it but it smells so good when you brush against it. I had bee balm (PS: Monarda didyma (Bee Balm)) but I think it won't come back another year. I had marjarom too but it's an annual. Oh, and cilentro/coriender. It reseeds itself here. I have mint, too. I guess I have more than I thought I had. All but the sage do well in pots and look good mixed with flowers. The sage is in the ground. I have a new lavender this spring, too. It needs a bigger pot now. I had it in the ground but I think I put it in a pot because it froze last year. Well, I don't know if any of that will help you. Dooley

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Polly, I have some herbs planted in the vegatable garden. Hardy here in zone 5 is Oregano, Thyme, Lemon Balm, Tarragon, Sage, Chives, and mint. Mint and Lemon Balm spread like crazy so you'll have to be careful that it doesn't take over your garden! Dill, parsley, Borage, and Chamomile re-seed themselves each year. Basil and Rosemary grow well in the heat of the summer too. I've never had luck with Cilantro.

5. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Never plant mint in your garden as it's very invasive. The same goes for thyme,lemon balm and garlic chives. If you can get a few inexpensive plants from the nursery that you would use that would be a good start. Most herbs are fairly easy to grow. Most chefs actually prefer dried oregano to fresh. Basil and dill are easily grown from seed. 8)
    I grow big herbs like rosemary in my garden and some in pots near the house but this is just for convenience. They will do well in either place.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I grow mint every year, usually in several small pots but this year I am using those large recycle bins the city didn't want back when they changed us to large carts. Always peppermint and chocolate mint, they both make great smelling soaps.
    I have Lemon Balm pretty much an evergreen here,
    Rue also an evergreen,
    Lavender- evergreen,
    Mint Marigold, Sage, Dill,
    Tuscan Blue Rosemary-it is covered in blue blooms all winter, there were always bees hovering around it too
    Chamomile, upright Thyme seedlings started, Horseherb, Pennyroyal,
    One of my favorites, tied with just about all of the others for first place is Patchouly. It is a very tender annual, it hasn't shown up at the garden center yet and I wouldn't plant it before May anyway.
    St. Johns Wort - first time this year
    I need to find some Tansy, Calendula Marigolds, Oregano

7. blackrose

blackrose In Flower

Here chives and oregano are so easy to grow. The rest needs hands with tlc. :D

8. PinkSun

PinkSun Seedling

Sage is pretty easy...I would stay away from Basil though as that seems to be the hardest (or maybe it's just me??)

9. TurningColorz

TurningColorz New Seed

In zone 5 I've had good luck with;
    Basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, chives, and dill. Some in containers, and some in the garden

I've had no luck with;
    Parsley, mint or sage, (although Russian sage thrives in our clay soil).

The Oregeno seems to be the most forgiving, I transplanted some around a pond where it's been thriving in the rocksfor 4 years. Makes a bright green ground cover that I like the look of.

Good Luck!
    TurningColorz

10. Penny

Penny Young Pine

I am so glad that i found this thread because thats one thiing that i would like to try as well.

11. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

I have lemon balm and chives in my flower garden. The lemon balm tries to compete with my bee balm, pretty even match. Parsley, cilantro, lovage,and borage are in my veggie garden. Dill usually goes in another flower border. When i do basil it goes in with the veggies too. And I get a rosemary plant every year that goes in its own pot.
    Are you planning on starting from seed or buy plants? I have a hard time with most seeds. Parsley, cilantro, borage and dill i manage to keep alive from seed. The others I started with nursery plants or starts from friends.

12. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

What herbs are easiest to grow,,,, i would say the wild ones,,, lol. sorry i got a warped sense of humor today. :D

13. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Let me see

I got rosemary, lavender, garlic, parsley, basil, chillies and tansy. Around here these are the easiest to grow, They only require initial attention, thereafter they pretty much look after themselves.

So Biita, you might me fifty percent right since mine is growing wild now and I actually have to keep them in check.

14. ntjones

ntjones New Seed

You can grow herbs equally as well in beds or containers, but a lot will depend on the climate you are in , mediteranian herbs like thyme and rosemary will grow pretty much anywhere but they will thrive in warmer climes. soft leaf herbs like basil can be hit and miss for me and I recently experimented with lemon grass in pot in my kitchen and was really surprised with the results also a really nice aroma in my kitchen.