Why aren't coleus seeds germinating?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Tina, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I thought they were very easy to germinate. This is the first time I am trying the coleus seeds.
    I have a flat container where I put in potting soil and spread some seeds on top of that. The container sits on a window sill facing west. There is a heater vent below the window sill - so I mist the container everyday. Its been 3 weeks since I sowed them.What am I doing wrong? I saved half of the seeds so will sow them after I get advice from you all.
    TIA!
    Tina.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Are they being kept at a steady temp of 65-75 degrees?
    Also, are they getting full sun....they should be in a bright location but not where they get full sun. And keep the tray covered with a piece of glass or plastic to keep the soil moist.

4. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Yes, they are in a steady temp of 70F.
    They do get full afternoon sun. SHould I move them to a place that is bright but doesn't get full sun? Will cover it today too.
    Thanks Toni.

5. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Mine are germinating without sun. I have a light over my eating cable..I think every seed germinated.
    They are so cute to watch. Fourth of an inch high and already have tiny red specks in them.

I didnt find the giant ones, so I used the others.

Advertisement
  6. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Mine germinated in a cold greenhouse, and I mean cold at the moment here in the UK, and I have a full tray of coleus seedlings.

You say you are misting them everyday, but is this just damping the top layer of compost? I would be tempted to stand the seed tray in a tray of water and leave it there for an hour or so to allow capillary action to draw the water up through the compost to the top. Then drain, and don't spray or water again unless the compost starts to really dry out, and at that point I would repeat the watering, standing the tray in water rather than misting.

Did you cover the seeds with compost? I covered mine with a fine layer, watered well and left them to it and they were through within 10 days.

Good luck with your second sowing...and you never know, the first lot might decide to poke their noses through also and they you will have double the amount of plants to play with!

7. Tina

Tina Young Pine

No, EJ. I just spread them on a tray of potting soil. I will try watering the way you suggested.
    But is covering the seeds with compost necessary? I will have to go out and buy some then.
    I do have a bag of vermiculite and some peat moss at home. Will that work?

8. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Sprinkle the vermiculite over the seeds. I always cover my seeds, even against advice, just not a lot. I tend to not press down the compost to hard, then sprinkle the seeds, gently tap the tray, sprinkle over some compost and water. The vermiculite will let in the light but keep the seeds damp which should help germination.

Good luck.

9. gonzalcg

gonzalcg New Seed

Growing coleus- Step by step

1) Use a small container. I use aluminum, 4''x7'' cooking (yes) container, as in the picture. (aluminum tin foil cooking tray, piercing the bottom with a fork several times)

2) A good soil, keeping moist. I apply boiling water and let it cool before sowing.

3) I apply a good fungicide. For example, dithiocarbamate based fungicide.

4) Don't cover the seed. Only pressed it.

5) I put the tray in a plastic bag. I prefer white, but translucent. It can be transparent.

6) Put the bag-tray in a sunny location. The "70-85F" is false. Perhaps 70-115F. Once, I got 100% germination with 105F. I live in the tropic and coleus is a tropical plant.

--->> ever keep moist <<----

I reach almost 100% germination with good seeds.

Apologize my ugly English.

Carlos

[​IMG]
    Coleus container ( photo / image / picture from gonzalcg's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Coleus in containers - Brazil ( photo / image / picture from gonzalcg's Garden )

10. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Carlos, welcome to the Stew. Your have a wonderful collection of colorful coleus. Thanks for sharing. :stew1:

11. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Hi Carlos! Wonderful advice ~ your English is just fine!