wild black raspberries

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by AAnightowl, Jun 12, 2014.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

A few years back, I found some wild black raspberries growing in my field. I dug them up and made a berry patch for my veggie garden. They are doing great, and at the moment I have lots of them ripe every day. I go ahead and have a snack out there while I am working in my garden. Since the kids don't feel the urge to help me in the garden, I am eating them all myself. ;)

However, if I get as many cukes as expected--I have lots of cucumber plants out there!--they can help eat the cucumbers.

Jewell and carolyn like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Now that sounds like a good plan to me!! :D

4. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I have black raspberry plants! I had to buy mine though ;) I think some of the suckers are reverting to red though, Ill wait until they ripen and if they are indeed red, they're getting pulled and composted. I dont want red ones!

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jen, I don' think you have ones that are reverting to red, they don't do that. They are hard and red as they are immature and starting to ripen. Then they turn black. If you got a pre packaged one it could have been mislabeled. I have done that. The yellow raspberry I purchased turned out to be a beautiful red raspberry plant.

Advertisement
  6. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Ive had them for a few years now. Theyve always been black, although I dont remember seeing them being red before fully ripening :/

I did plant a yellow raspberry which was either mislabeled ooorrrr taken over by the black? Because I havent gotten yellow ones.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

They won't "revert" to red. I don't think it is possible. they are two completely different species, not a cross breed or hybrid.

the yellow one may have been "mislabeled" just like mine. It might be cheaper to harvest red ones and label them as yellow than to actually sell yellow ones? sarcasm to the max, here! I get so disgusted at the prepackaged plants that really aren't what the label id's them as.

8. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I have had problems with rose bushes not being what they are labeled as. I think customers or their kids go around switching labels.

When my kids were babies, they used to take the price stickers off of stuff, and that was before they invented bar codes on things. Check out people hated doing a cart load of price checks...[don't blame them]. I had to put my kids in one cart, and groceries in a 2d cart to avoid that problem.

I don't mind red raspberries, I just havent found any growing on my place, and a friend who has some forgot to give me her extra babies this year.

Black raspberry plants have purplish stems. Red raspberry plants do not. I have no idea on the yellow ones. And yes, the black raspberries do turn red before ripening into a black color.