Will my garden mum's survive this weather?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by gardennut, Feb 7, 2014.

1. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

Got quite a bit of snow on my mums, they say they are hardy, can anyone tell me if that is true? One of them is a Belgium Mum and I have no idea how to take care of it. The other is a Goldencrest Garden Mum, do you think they will come back in the spring?

[​IMG]
    Garden Mums asleep for winter ( photo / image / picture from gardennut's Garden )

moderator's note: split this post into it's own topic

2. Loading...

3. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I've had mums survive the winter. Mine were in the ground though, not sure about if they're in pots.

4. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

if in pots. And can be taken to protected not heated area like garage. give good drink My potted ones I transplant right after killing frost in fall. Mulch. Dh blew snow on beds. Been buying more mums each year. Got 10 now.

5. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

I left mine out all winter, they said they were hardy mums. I went out and there is no new growth yet, is that normal? I lifted one and it seemed very heavy, should I get some new soil and repot it? I think it might have too much water, every time I go out I move it to a sunny location so the sun and wind can dry some of it. I did not cut any of it off and I gently scraped the main stem and there is no green, should I just throw them away and get new ones when they come on the market?

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The new growth comes from the roots not the old stems so looking at the stems won't tell you if it's dead or not. Is there sufficient drainage in the pot? If not then poke a hole it in so the snow melt will drain out or repot into dry soil.

Also, since Mums are a fall blooming plant (some will bloom in the spring under the right conditions) there probably won't be any sign of growth until your temps warm up and consistently stay in the 70 degree range. Our temps have been between 60-80 degrees for a couple of weeks and mine are just now starting to show new growth.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

My big one survived very well... it's nice and full already. A couple of other smaller onces are just now showing new growth. And we did have a couple of good freezes.

8. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

I still have some potting soil laying around from when I potted up some other plants, it is damp from being outside, could I repot it in the damp soil or should I wait until it is dry?

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

It is too early to have any new growth on the plants as of yet. Give it time. Any new growth will come from the roots. If there is still the top of the plant left cut it off and throw that part away. It will be brown and brittle, totally void of life. If they are still in the pots in the picture up above leave them be and wait to see if they survived.

10. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

I went out and gave both of them a rather severe haircut! TeeHee! So hopefully they will come back. I will leave them in the pots and see what happens, if they come back they will be the only ones I have ever had that did. It is supposed to rain more this week, should I put them somewhere where the rain can't get to them? I don't want them to drown and we are supposed to get some thundershowers. There are holes in the pots, do you it would be ok to leave them where they are?

11. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

Bringing a hardy mum indoors

Would it be possible for me to bring the smaller Belgium Mum indoors? I would like to have one indoors, but don't know if it would survive, will bringing it in hurt it any? Here is what it looked like when it was in bloom, I sure would like to get it to bloom again.

[​IMG]
    sonoma coral ( photo / image / picture from gardennut's Garden )