Winter Preparations - First Step, my "winterhouse"

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by cherylad, Nov 7, 2013.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I got it in my head recently to build some sort of shelter to overwinter my plants. Not a greenhouse, just something to put them under so I don't have to go around covering and uncovering plants all winter long to protect them from frost.

Here's where I started.
    http://www.gardenstew.com/post-279787.html#279787

Now, the frame is erected. Naturally, there were some changes to my plans once we actually started the assembly. But I was pretty close.

[​IMG]
    Winterhouse frame ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Hope you can see where I criss-crossed some string to help deter "puddling". But I think I may add some more.
    I'll start moving some plants there this weekend.

Sjoerd, Philip Nulty and donna in nc like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

That's a great space to overwinter plants in Cheryl. They should be happy there when the frosts hit.

4. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

very smart idea

5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

That is looking very nice. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Advertisement
  6. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Great job. If you have some lattice laying around put on top to help with puddles.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Good luck, Cheryl. I don't have nearly the weather you do, but (like jbest? in the other topic you, started earlier, commented)...ventilation from the heat is very important. Much better to be cold than too hot. On a cold but sunny day the greenhouse can heat up to very hot in no time at all. I stay home on Sunday mornings until I can open the greenhouse when it is cold outside and I have a crop in there, so I don't kill everything until I get home after lunch. Soon though, I will be putting auto vents in.. (as soon as they come). So, leave a few gaps/flaps up high where the heat can vent out during the day and you can cover them at night time to keep the heat in. Or leave an end openable for daily venting while you are at work. It doesn't need to be expensive or fancy, just able to let the excess heat out. Even a bungy cord fastening the end back would do. Also make sure the plastic is anchored to the ground or fasten a piece of lumber to the bottom of the frame and staple it to the wood. (whatever you use) just keep the wind from getting under the plastic and ripping the whole frame away from the building.

8. cherylad

Donna S... I thought of lattice, but I'm afraid that the sharp edges might tear the tarp. I think I'll just had more string.

Carolyn... Yes...It will be attached with the bungees at the back/top... so there will definitely be ventilation. This is not intended to keep the cold out or the heat in... just to keep the plants from getting frost bite.
    And the bottom will be anchored to the ground using tent stakes. The ends will be able to be opened/closed whenever needed. That frame isn't going anywhere.... trust me. Hubby put extra heavy duty brackets. It will also be anchored to the ground using those screw-in stakes that you use to chain up a dog.

Thanks everyone. I'm really looking forward to NOT having wrestle with sheets, tablecloths, tarps, etc all winter long.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cheryl, that is a lovely winter home for the tender plants! You (and hubby) did very, very well. I just use an empty stall in the barn with a heavy plastic tent over the tenders--yours is much nicer and more functional.
    Wonder what my husband has planned for the weekend . . . ;)

10. cherylad

Thanks Jane!
    This set-up has a dual purpose... actually it's three-fold.
    First... protect the tender plants. Two... less work for me over the winter.
    Three... my office is closed for nearly 3 weeks around the holidays, so that is really the only time I could take a long vacation. I take mini vacations (4-5 days at a time) during the year. I'm hoping to be able to meet up with my brothers in some tropical paradise for Christmas in a couple of years. And having some place to tuck in the plants and not worry about them... priceless!
    :stew2:

11. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cheryl,..well done,..that looks very sturdy and its sure going to save you a lot of work,..and stress,.. thinking of this plant and that plant when the cold and wind arrive,..you have lots of room for tender plants.

12. cherylad

Philip... I hope you're right. Guess I'll find out soon. Both Houston and Beaumont are predicting temps in the high 30s around Thursday. And since I'm between both of those cities...in the middle of nowhere, my temps seem to be about 5 degrees cooler than theirs. So I'll be gathering/moving plants over the weekend and getting the tarp put into place. I'll be making sure to have plenty of ventilation, because those cold temps won't hang around for long. :fingerscrossed:

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Super idea. I hope that you will keep us posted regularly. This is exciting.

14. cherylad

Thank you Sjoerd.
    I'll be putting up more string in the hopes of keeping the puddling to a minimum today. And then start gathering up the plants. I'm going to wait until Monday to put the tarp up.
    I'm actually getting a little excited to get up all together to see how it's going to work. :stew2: