Winter Preparations - Second Step - Rounding up the plants

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by cherylad, Nov 10, 2013.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

The forecast calls for temps nearing the freezing mark Tuesday and Wednesday night.
    And since it was a nice calm warm day, I decided to go ahead and round up the plants that need winter protection.
    The first plant indoors and the last one out is the African Milk Tree.

[​IMG]
    My pride and joy for over 30 years ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And some others, mostly the succulents came in next.

[​IMG]
    Various plants in the laundry room ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And then it was time to move the rest to my "winterhouse".
    Previous thread:
    http://www.gardenstew.com/about31184.html
    I moved the bigger things first. And then started on the medium sized stuff. Wait!
    How in the heck am I going to be able to get in there to put the tarp on with the plants in the way?
    So, my plan of putting the tarp up on Monday got moved up in the plan. It only took a few minutes to get the tarp in place. I had to leave the front open so I could get in and out without much difficulty. And besides, it's going to be pretty warm over the next few days, so the front will remain open for a bit.
    With our fire ant problem, you can't take the chance of having a container sit on the ground. So I rounded up some bricks, some shelving stuff, etc. Then I went around the yard and brought them in... one by one. And just when I thought I was done, I remembered some stuff in the front of the house. And oh wait... there's some over here.
    I finally got them all tucked away.

[​IMG]
    Full "winter"house ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

It was kinda depressing realizing winter would be here soon. But, at the same time, it was kinda exciting knowing that the plants would be safe. And the bonus... I don't have to work so hard tending to them over the winter.
    :stew2:

Sjoerd, Droopy, Jewell and 4 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Okay girl, you got me inspired to move my tender herbs onto the barn shelf with a plastic tent ready for the cold weather.
    You have a full time job, do a great plant sale for your church, and still have time to garden like a maniac--you're an inspiration, but just reading about all your activities tires me out!

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Wow Cheryl--you are really organised with your tender plants. That shelter on the side of your house works, doesn't it.
    Like MG says--your work is inspiring.

5. cherylad

Jane... dear... you do more work by noon than I do all day long! And not just on weekends... EVERYday. There's the farm. Bees. Volunteering. Veggies. Flowers. Hens. Teaching. Me? I just go to my job and sit on my butt for hours. Until I get home... then watch out! I gotta be doing stuff then. :-D
    And Sjoerd... talk about an inspiration! The work that you do at your lottie is amazing. Bees. Veggies. Flowers... and on and on.
    I draw my inspiration from all of you.
    And I thank you for the kind words.
    But whether this contraption works or not? Guess we'll find out come spring. :D

Advertisement
  6. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

Crumbs,I need a lie down after reading about your exploits! Fingers crossed that all your babies survive the winter.

7. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Wow Now I need a nap after all your hard work.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I moved all my tender plants to the greenhouse a few days ago. This morning the frost is so bad that I can't get in to check them. Maybe I should have done something along the lines of what you have.

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Great idea, it looks great! I only wish such a simple set up would work here! I really need a greenhouse. Wonder if Santa would bring me one?

10. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Wish my house was bigger to have more tender plants inside. Did get my cannas dug. Shocked how the grew.

11. cherylad

Kias & Donna.... work? Work is when I sit in the office all day... this was PLAY time.

Eileen & Netty... my brother asked... why didn't you just get a greenhouse? My first reply was because of the cost. But after getting all the pieces for this thing, I COULD have gotten a small greenhouse. Then I thought about our mild winters and scorching summers and didn't think any plant would want to be in one.

Koszta... There is no way all of these would have fit in the house. I probably brought too many indoors, as it is.
    Since I had the space, I even tucked in some plants under that tarp that I have left out all winter. If you got it... use it!

Thanks everyone! :-D

12. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Wow Cheryl that is a lot of plants when you see them all together,..i bet you were surprised as to how many you had to put under cover,..well done,..i had to get help lifting my Banana Plant indoors.

13. cherylad

Yes Philip... they sure add up. I keep telling myself to stop planting in containers. And to stop getting stuff that won't handle my weather. BUT.... I just can't help myself! :D
    I had to move my brother's Star Fruit Tree and his Peach tree into his storage building. Even though they are on wheels... it still took two people. I'm going to see if I can plant that peach tree in the spring. One less thing to baby over the winter.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  14. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Well thought out winter arrangement. :D I hope the plants will reward you properly come spring.

15. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    What a wonderful collection of plants. You are a horticulturist extraordinary! I keep downsizing my plants so no longer have many. It is wonderful seeing your variety of lovelies.

16. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I finally moved all but 2 of my potted perennials into the sunroom (technically its an "all seasons" room since it has actual walls, but sunroom is easier and faster to type haha). The 2 are a mum and a delphinium which Im sure can handle a bit of cold :)

I moved all my houseplants into the sunroom a few weeks ago and am just now getting them moved into the house. Didnt want them to go into too much shock.