1,225 eggs later

Discussion in 'Pets' started by marlingardener, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

MG & Carolyn--I had no idea that raising chickens on a "small" scale would be a money-losing proposition. It makes me appreciate even more our neighbors who sell eggs.
    I tried breeding parakeets for a time (their eggs are smaller than my thumb nail) & that was a money-losing proposition too. My kids loved it though, & so did I.

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yep, not a money maker, but they are good to eat (the eggs) and they do force me to go outside even if I don't want to...You get to socialize (since I don't work away from home)and you appreciate the eggs a whole lot more than the box from the store. I think anytime you produce a food to eat it is appreciated much more than store bought food...we don't waste it quite as quick, which I think is because it does taste better. I forgot to include labor in my figure in the earlier post....those were basic costs for materials only. :rolleyes: my husband cringes at the thought of the chickens...I keep telling him he is so fortunate that I don't have a passion for a horse....Hay here is $10.00 a bale right now :rolleyes: At least with the chickens they make an egg to eat or sell.

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, you make a good point--our ladies' eggs do taste better, and socializing with the flock is definitely delightful.
    I want a pair of mules. My granddaddy broke mules, and I've liked mules ever since. My husband says absolutely not--it was bad enough having the chicks in the guest bedroom until they were big enough to move outside. He balks at the thought of two baby mules wandering around the house. I can't think of anything money-making or beneficial to having mules. But I'm working on it . . . .

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jane, just git you a hitch and harness and plow the garden in the spring...that should do it.

Honestly, even the Amish farmers will tell you (if they know you well enough to be this honest with you) that a horse is more costly than a tractor. So, I think you would be better off with out them Jane. Up here the cost of feeding them is outrageous, right now. Anyone who has hay isn't selling it, they are sitting on it to see where the prices are going to get to before unloading their haul....I have seen it advertised for $10.00 a bale on craigslist and between 5-8.oo per bale by the ton :eek: .

Advertisement