12 Apostles - Victoria, Australia

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by looking, May 12, 2005.

1. looking

looking Seedling

Hi all,
    Here is a pic of part of the 12 Apostles in Victoria, Australia. We drove along the Great Ocean Road recently and have more stunning pics if you would like to see them.

Cheers
    Craig
    Edit: Photo no longer exists

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. bsewnsew
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

That is an awesome picture, I had never even heard of the '12 Apostles' before now. Thanks for educating me to their existence. I would definitely like to see more photos of it.

Is it a tourist attraction over there in Aussie, or just famous in Victoria?

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Great picture Craig.

Is it true that climbers use the 'apostles' as training walls for mountain climbing?

Love to see more of your shots when you have the time.

5. looking

looking Seedling

12 Apostles

Hi Eileen,
    Yes, they used to about 15 years ago. But now, because of both ridiculous insurance premiums & limitations, and also because the apostles are composed mainly of a soft, sand like rock, it's too dangerous. :cry:
    There was one structure called "London Bridge" which was, if you like, a bridge between the mainland and one of the Apostles, which simply fell into the sea. :!:
    There were tourists on the Apostle at the time and a helicopter had to be chartered to rescue them. :!:

I will post more as they are really great.

Cheers
    Craig

Advertisement
  6. looking

looking Seedling

12 Apostles

Hi GardenStew,
    Yes, the 12 Apostles are HUGE tourist attraction in Victoria. I'm not sure of the numbers but it would be at least 10,000 visitors per year to them and other attractions along the great Ocean Road.
    The Great Ocean Road basically runs along the coast from Geelong (near Melbourne) to Warnambool of some of the most spectacular coastline in Aust. Around 100Km long. The 12 Apostles comprise part of the journey, but there are other great coves, shipwrecks, and wonders along the way.

Cheers
    Craig

7. looking

looking Seedling

12 Apostles - more pics

Hi all,
    Here are some more pictures of the Great Ocean Road, Victoria, Aust.

The 12 Apostles

Where London Bridge used to be.

The Great Ocean Road runs around the hills here. Usually around 3 feet from sheer cliffs, straight down :!:

These gardens are called "Fletcher Jones gardens" in Warnambool. He used to make mens suits & clothes and created these gardens for the city.

Cheers
    Craig

8. looking

looking Seedling

12 Apostles - London Bridge

Here is a better pic of where London Bridge was.

Craig

9. eileen

Thanks for the wonderful pictures. :D The 'London Bridage' must have been worth seeing before it crumbled. Beautiful garden too but I have to admit I prefer a more rugged look.

Any more photographs by any chance - maybe of one of the shipwrecks? :)

10. looking

looking Seedling

Eileen, we only saw one shipwreck, and even that was mostly submerged. Here is a pic of it. You can just see the top of the mast (I assume that is what it is) sticking above the water just to the right in the picture.

Cheers
    Craig

11. eileen

Thanks Craiq. :D

Is that a cave in the rock face or is it simply an indent created by sea erosion? Marvelous, rugged scenery. 8) Do you know what types of wildlife inhabit the area?

Sorry for all the questions but I love to find out about places even if there's very liittle chance of me ever visiting them myself.

Bye for now.

12. looking

looking Seedling

Hi Eileen,
    It is a cave that has formed through the erosion of the waves. it is home to a large flock of gulls and other sea birds. The rock around the area is quite soft (as far as rocks go)

There are heaps of wildlife in the area. From your average gulls to a particular bird called the "Muttonbird" which nests on only one of the rocky outcrops (& only that one year after year :!: ) They are also variously called Shearwaters or Short-tailed shearwaters.
    Here is a photo of the sign near the island.

There are also kangaroos, possums, wallabys, porcupines, echidnas, wombats, koalas, various snakes (tiger snake, brown snake, black snake, etc)

13. eileen

Craig would you mind if I nicked the last photograph as my wallpaper? It's gorgeous. :D

Thanks for the information about the wildlife in the area - certainly makes a change from what we have here in Scotland!!!

14. looking

looking Seedling

Hi Eileen,
    That's fine. Take whatever you like. If you want the larger, clearer version (this one is scaled down) let me know & I'll email it to you.

Cheers
    Craig

15. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Craig, this topic is great so far, splendid pictures, and very interesting info. Feel free to start topics like this anytime!

I noticed your rank title has changed to 'On The Way Up' as well :)

When you say that the Muttonbird nests on only one of the outcrops do you mean all the Muttonbirds in the area? If so do you know why that is?

16. looking

looking Seedling

Hi Frank,
    Yes, they all use only one island to nest on, all 50,000 of them, year after year. It's not really an island, just a large rock in the middle of the water. I would guess it measures about 500 metres x 250 metres and about 40 metres high. There is no vegetation on it, but plenty of little crevices & holes.
    No-one knows why they come back to that same rock, but they have a highly developed sense of direction and homing instinct. Wheras I get lost in the local Westland shopping centre :!:

Cheers
    Craig