2 plants

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Ronni, Apr 29, 2018.

1. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

So sweet! I think your plant just has a darker bloom than the one I had and that your plant is also a form of D. gratianopolitanus, a very hardy species.
    https://www.outsidepride.com/seed/flower-seed/dianthus/dianthus-cheddar-pink.html
    https://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/view/?id=4590

With the grassy foliage of this species, which is much more evergreen than any of the dozen-or-so kinds of "grass" in our yard, (in our location/zone anyway,) I'd love to find a HUGE bag of Dianthus seeds & have a mowed area full of that instead of just weedy, worthless grasses.

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

purpleinopp likes this.
  3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Good call @waretrop on that Strawberry Begonia. I have not grown one since college! (And that was a l-o-n-g time ago!).

I wonder Ronni if it is growing in a microclimate zone there, nestled up against the bricks like it is. I just checked the Missouri Botanical site & it says Strawberry Begonia is hardy from zone 6-9, but zone 6 is iffy. What zone are you?

purpleinopp likes this.
  4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I'm in zone 7! So I guess that works.

purpleinopp and Cayuga Morning like this.

Advertisement
  5. purpleinopp

Toni, you are so lucky (or have worked really hard!) We're working on eliminating our mowed areas, not worthy of being called "lawn," but I don't know if we can ever get rid of all of it. And TY for the link. :)

6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Purple, I started in the center of the back yard in 2003 and by 2014 there was no lawn front, back or north side. The south side is still a problem, poison ivy that I will not get around so hubby sprays it.

Pacnorwest and purpleinopp like this.
  7. purpleinopp

That's awesome! Well done!

If I was able to gather all of the spaces I've reclaimed from mowed areas to make into gardens over the years, and plop them where I live now, the mowed area would be gone, but moving at least once per decade has forced me to start over several times, lastly in 2014. Where I am now is the worst "dirt" I've ever seen or had. It's like concrete, and with zero fertility. I'm composting and adding as much organic matter as I can find, but it's just not very much compared to the areas that need help. I could really use about 5 dump truck loads of leaves.

8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

What a job, huh Purple! Good luck with it.

purpleinopp likes this.
  9. purpleinopp

Thanks!! Much appreciated. :) When I got home today, there were birds getting a drink & taking a bath in the elephant ear leaf bird bath that my husband made. A husband/wife cardinal couple, a bluejay & a few wrens. Moments like that make it all seem worthwhile. I totally forgot I was sweating & I think I could feel my blood pressure dropping. I waited until they were finished to get out of the car.

Cayuga Morning likes this.