3 leaf apple tree seedling

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by fish_4_all, Mar 17, 2010.

1. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I have never seen this before in any plant I have ever planted.
    [​IMG]

Is this normal for some apple trees or do I have a variation I should try to get fruit from? I started a good 30 seeds from the same apple and half of them have 2 leaves and the rest have 3. I know I can not expect to get the same apple from any of the seeds but this has me wondering.

2. Loading...

3. dawgdrvr

dawgdrvr New Seed

This is normal for pom fruit (apple & pear). Depending on variety the 1st leaves can be dbl or triple.As you said apples will not come true from seed. Say that you planted a honeycrisp or yellow delicious seeds, the fruit will not be the same as the parent tree and are usually sub par. The tree will also be a standard size tree as it is grown on its own roots and not on a dwarfing root stock and will be between 20 to 40 ft tall when full grown but you can keep it smaller by summer pruning.

I have 2 apple trees that one of my granddaughters started as a school project 5 years ago.They started with Red delicious seeds. last year (5 years after it was planted)it was the 1st year that they produced anything. The apples were good sized, juicy and sweet. But NOT red like the parent tree. The fruit were bright green with a red blush.

4. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

We that means that I have both species that were crossed coming up with having both 2 and 3 leaf starts. Won't matter too much because a majority will be used for root stock anyway all tied together to make one massive and hopefully strong hearty stock.