A Bed of Roses

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by cherylad, Feb 22, 2011.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Finished the last of the major beds today. I've been envisioning this spot filled with Cosmos but now I think I'll put in roses too.

[​IMG]
    bed for roses ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And I went to the "trouble" to make the edging nice, even and pretty since it'll be one of the first things you'll see when you pull up to the house.
    Hopefully, my brother the dragon will approve!

:D

2. Loading...

3. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

oooh it will be lovely all filled with cosmos and roses (two of my fave flowers) :D Nice border, the rose bed I made is bordered with landscape timbers *lol*

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The border looks great, have you chosen the colors yet? If your brother doesn't like it, twist his tail. Dragons don't like their tail twisted. :)

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You've done a grand job on that bed Cheryl. I can already envisage it all planted up and filled with those cosmos and roses in full flower. :-D
    Get that dragon of a brother of yours to rake any weeds from the bed - dragons, so I'm told, like to make themselves useful once in a while. ;)

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

Jerry... I have a new yellow rose to plant in my sister-in-law's memory. And I have a very old rose that belonged to my grandmother. It has to be at least 50 years old. Last year it put on 5 small red roses. Now that it gets out of the container, I'm hoping for it to flourish. There's also another rose bush that is struggling amongst the crocosmias that I'm thinking of relocating.
    The cosmos are the pink, purple & white mix.
    And Eileen... like that cartoon that Toni posted... my brother is not allowed to go near or help with any of the gardening. He can appreciate the beauty from a short distance. :D

7. Jerry Sullivan

A garden for memories. What a great idea. Excellent colors too!!

Jerry

8. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Lovely Cheryl.... I can't get over the transformation you've made there, with all of the memory gardens. I think cosmos and roses will be a beautiful combination. I hope your grandmother's rose and all the others really like their new home.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Nice looking bed, Cheryl. I shall be interested to see how it turns out. The combination of roses and cosmo's sound interesting.
    Keep us updated on this, would you? You have done great things there...keep up the good work.

10. cherylad

I have very little experience with roses, so you can bet I'll be asking for help.
    I used to have a huge bed of nothng but Cosmos when I lived in New Mexico. I can't wait to have more.
    Sure hope they way it looks in my head is the way it'll look in real life!

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

That will be a gorgeous rose/cosmos bed, Cheryl. I really like the memory garden idea too.
    If you buy more Roses to plant, get the Knock-Out Roses, they like our heat are winter hardy up to zone 5, are disease and pest resistant including resistance to black spot, they don't have to be dead headed and bloom every month or so from spring through the fall to the first freeze.

12. cherylad

I almost picked up a Double Knock Out but just picked up the Yellow instead. I'll definitely keep them in mind.

13. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Nice job there Cheryl! It is making me a little jealous that you are out there doing work at this time. My ground is still a frozen winter landscape, and it will be a while until my work can get underway.
    I think your roses will thrive and look wonderful in the new bed.

14. cherylad

Thanks Kay... I've been so tempted to plant stuff... but it's still a bit too early. There always seem to be one more freeze the first week or two of March.
    So... in order to keep me occupied until then, I've been just playing in the dirt. :-D

15. Jerry Sullivan

There it is!! A morsel of information, thats what makes this site so great!! I might even try to grow a rose bush again this summer. Since we have had more trees cut down some parts of the yard get sun. Oh....the morsel.... Toni recommended "Knock-Out Roses". I checked, my local nursery, a candy store for gardeners, carries them. Now if the snow would only melt:-( Where is my shovel:)

Jerry