A Christmas question for everyone.

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Capt Kirk, Dec 2, 2014.

1. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Wow, Just look at this picture.

[​IMG]

This button came off an old coat from my grandmas house in about 1952. It was a 20 year old coat at that time. We learned how to play that game.

I hadn't thought of that game and this button in a long time. After we got older and it wasn't fun anymore my parents added a string so we could spin the button on the string and do things with it. Now that button gave us kids hours and hours and even years of fun.

That simple little button is about 84 years old. I have a "not what" shelf that I keep it on as a keepsake. Same string and all.

Thanks Sherry8 for giving me another minute of joy. Remembering about that button. :-D

stratsmom likes this.
  2. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I wish I would of thought to keep Grandmothers buttons after we got older and didn't play any more. It kept us quiet and all in one area and not running through the house.

Your welcome waretrop..

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Wow look what I found in that not-what shelf...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My mom and her brother played with these in the 1920's.I played with them in the 1950's and my daughter did the same in the 70's. Now the poor ball doesn't bound. It's as hard as a rock. They are probably 90 years old. My mom gave them to me when I was about 15.

Now look at what they are stored in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My mom said that they have been in the same can for all these years. We only got to play with these on the holidays when other children came to visit.

Frank and stratsmom like this.
  4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

My poor mom tried to play "Where's the Button" but when there are only 3 of you......We didn't care though, my sister and I loved it when Mom played games with us or told us stories, especially "Heidi"

Frank likes this.

Advertisement
  5. AvaRose82

AvaRose82 Seedling

One of the traditions from my childhood I still do to this day. While opening presents on Christmas morning, we're all in our pajamas, drinking milk or coffee, eating a plate of Christmas cookies. It was the one day of the year I got to have sweet treats for breakfast :)

Frank and marlingardener like this.
  6. DMJ24

DMJ24 Seedling

I remember the decorations more than the gifts.
    My mom grew up very poor back in the 30's and had nothing.
    But she and my dad always made sure we had Christmas.
    My dad put together all those toys! 7 kids worth!
    I remember the days of those HORRID silver trees with the revolving spot light that changed the color of the tree.
    And we lived in MAssachusetts . The static when you walked by the tree would ZAP !!! And it felt likee a needle hit you. So painful!
    We all had fun with a big family. There was always someone to play with .
    Then all the in-law outlaws started happening and the fun became harder to enjoy. So many divorces and now deaths.it prevents a lot of happy scenarios.
    We had a good upbringing. Cantfigure what my siblings aw in the mates they chose. Everyone suffers.
    So our celebrations are npw small.
    It will probably be my 82 yr old moms last year with us. Her health is failing.
    I still love the decorations

Frank likes this.