A Couple Of Days Down South

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It is Fall here and it is wet and cold this year. The trees are beginning to change colour here now, so we thought that down south they ought to be nice and colourful Well, it was gorgeous there; however, not so gorgeous as I had expected. Having said that, it was mostly dry and the sun came out a few times.

What am I talking about? I am talking about the Fall trip. We took a fall trip with my bee mentor and his wife. They are in their 80's and do not get around so well anymore. Everything is good between their ears though..so there was a lot of laughing and chatting the whole time.

We go to this hotel that was once a house belonging to our Royal Family. It has a lovely woodsy setting and is on the edge of heather fields where deer rut. The hotel was very inexpensive and included brekkie. -- Ideal for pensionado's. We have been there many times and just keep going back.

Well this year we somehow completely missed the rut, so no deer seen or heard. There was a couple of bosuilen (Strix aluco) that visited the tree outside our room's balcony however. I cannot recall the English name of this little creature, but it is well-known...in GB at least.

One reason that we go to this place is because of the very good restaurant that is known for its pannenkoeken. The pancakes here are not like in other places like the US or GB--they are very thin and have the diameter of a plate.

For our own sick entertainment we always try and choose a table with a view of the table that is under the deer's head. Are you getting it? Well, when folks sit there and eat. It's when they get up--they bang their head on the stuffed deer's head.

I can laugh at this because the first time that we ate there I was the one that banged his head on that darned deer's chin. o_O

For next days' return trip, the Bride had found a couple of activities-- A self-driven wagon ride through the woods, and a sand sculpture exposition. The sand sculptures won out. At the beginning were the first sculptures to be seen and then a little board for people to look at and identify the world's city buildings:
    zzz9abcde.jpg

zzzb.jpg

There were sculptures indoors that were made to look like they were under water with special effects lighting:
    zzz9abcd 1.jpg

zzz9abcd.jpg

A couple of Indian women:
    zzz1.jpg

zzz.jpg

The sculptures have been there all summer and now they are beginning to show signs of their outside exposure:
    zzz2.jpg

Another composite sculpture featuring animals of the world:
    zzzba.jpg

Finally...what sand sculpture program in this country would not feature the following:
    zzzbab.jpg

Oh yes...I almost forgot the piccy of my Bride and me, taken by my bee-mentor:
    zzz8.jpg

"Yeah"...he said,-- "Well I saw you two sitting together, I don't know what happened".
    Tch! What is he like.

2. Loading...