A Couple Of Days Out

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Some days ago we had a hotel coupon that was about to expire so we went up to Northern Friesland for a couple of days. It was a new location for us thus we were filled with anticipation and hopefulness. The place was fine albeit with smallish rooms. The rooms were clean and proper though. We are in a German restaurant in the village and the next day we spent in that close-by village looking at the sites, eating a bite and visiting a museum. The museum was actually a conglomeration of buildings that had had an industrial function in the past. The main place though was the museum of Douwe Egberts--a household word and product here. Coffee and tea.

The museum is preserved where it all began. There is an interesting history and was at one point sold to an American firm. It was nice to take the informal tour, see the old foto's and hear how the business progressed.

I looked on the website but it was not in English. However the Wikipedia link is here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douwe_Egberts

The way home was slow and lovely. We stopped at a place to sit and eat a bite with a cup of tea.
    It was just off the road and very rural:
    pasti3.jpg

Do you recognise this:
    zzz.jpg

It is a bull rush early on.

Further along the way it was time for another stop...a sanitary stop. There was no toilet, but I got to know a tree there out in the bushes.
    zzz2.jpg

That bark is itself a work of natural art, don't you think?

Right then...all caught up. Are you folks going to take a little break to re-charge the batteries this summer?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. EJ
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Beautiful photographs. So glad you two managed to get away for a nice break. We have no plans for a holiday this year sadly.

4. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Our vacation is living here...no plans...my husband traveled a lot before he retired and I would rather have something nice for the house...I travel through every elses experiences...

5. Odif

Odif Young Pine

My wife really wants a holiday. I don’t care to go on holiday. Luckily we are going to some friends for a few days. That should make her happier.

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

We just got back from our annual trip to the family farm. Beautiful weather while we were there. It was a nice time. IMG_20190723_194509.jpg IMG_20190723_194558.jpg IMG_20190723_194615.jpg IMG_20190725_105301.jpg That 's my brother & me

Sjoerd, Frank, eileen and 2 others like this.
  7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Just got back from a week long retreat. Leaving mid month for Oregon to a tiny house fest and then a stay on the Oregon coast. Have things trips planned for September and October. Guess my motto has become: “Dream like you will live forever and live like you will die tomorrow.” Hubby is along for the crazy ride:cool:.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  8. Cayuga Morning

Sounds really wonderful Jewell

Sjoerd and Jewell like this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Cayu--Welcome back from your trip to the farm. I enjoyed seeing the pic of that old mower. I can remember that my Grandfather had something similar and in fact I used to try and help him file the blades before or after mowing. I was very young then,,,but everything about his farm interested me and I was tickled pink if I could help with something. Later it got to be expected that I would do farm work in the summertime's.

That was a good foto of your man working out at the grill. Gad, that makes me drool just seeing the corn and burgers.
    I also enjoyed the scene of the yard. Gosh, that looks green and healthy.
    Naturally the family foto was a jewel in itself. Does your brother actually live at the family farm still? You two are a nice-looking pair of siblings.
    Are there renewed plans for tree-thinning?

10. Cayuga Morning

Hi Sjoerd, just caught l with this post! Yes we do so enjoy our family farm!

Tree thinning might happen this September but frankly I am doubtful. It has been raining raining and raining some more up there. They get lake effect water as it is south of Lake Ontario (one of the great lakes). We may to wait until the winter!
    Thanks for your lovely comments!

Sjoerd likes this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You may have missed the posting because of our time difference.
    I post mostly in the morning or around mid-day and by the time that you come on, there are usually several postings that are then on top of mine, pushing my posting down in the list.
    It doesn't matter.
    Good luck with that thinning this year.