A dry rub for meats on the grill.

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by fatbaldguy, Jun 13, 2011.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

I smoke a lot of pork shoulder, and grill lots of chicken and ribs. I have finally worked out something that adds to the flavor and doesn't overpower the tastebuds. I don't measure so all of these ingredients are by eye and nose.

Garlic powder, enought to make a mound in the bottom of a mixing bowl

Onion powder, enough to just cover the garlic.

Ground Cumin, again, enought to just cover the onion.

Paprika, I like the Hungarian kind, I start mixing ingredients here, enough to start changing the color of the mixture to reddish.

Ground Cayenne, to taste.

Kosher salt, a small handful, maybe 1/3 cup. This draws the juice out of the meat and helps the juice dissolve the rub.

Brown sugar, about twice the amount of the salt. This will help the juice draw back into the meat along with the flavor of the rub, add some sweetness, and just a bit of carmelization.

Whisk all of the ingredients until well blended. Stores for months I would suppose, although I use whatever I mix up pretty quickly. This mix also matches up well with most sauces commercial and homemade. I even coat wings with this before grilling and saucing.

eileen and cindjo717 like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I'm not usually one for meat rubs but I just might give this a try this summer.

Jerry

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

FBG.
    It was cool enough to enjoy grilling last night, and I had a pork butt in the fridge. I gave it a dose of your rub and let it stand in the refrigerator for about 6 hours.
    That was one good pork butt! Your rub is fantastic! I admit I used minced garlic because I didn't have any garlic powder, but I followed the directions otherwise.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe for this delicious rub. (And in Texas, we know our rubs!)

5. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

You are very welcome young lady. I'm very glad that you and hubster enjoyed the rub. The missus says I should mass produce it and sell it at Farmers Markets.

6. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

I just sent this to my husband, he really enjoys a cold beer and a nap near grilling meat...