A Family Vacation (^_^) - Japan - Part 1 Tokyo

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by KK Ng, Jun 10, 2017.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

It had been a long while since we had a family vacation. When I started organising a short vacation trip to Japan, I asked all my children whether they would like to join us on this trip and was surprised that all of them wanted to. I was really pleased that they all wanted to and so all planning is based on a family vacation.

Day 1 - May 21st.

We went to the airport by car and train. We drove to a town nearby the airport where there is a train going to the airport and left the car there which is very much cheaper in terms of parking fees.

[​IMG]
    Snack Time

It was a late flight with a transit in Hong Kong and landing in Tokyo Narita early the next morning.

[​IMG]
    Our Ride

Day 2 - May 22nd.

Landed in Tokyo Narita at 6:20am very tired from lack or no sleep because of the very badly designed seats of the Boeing 777-300 of Cathay Pacific from Hong Kong. It must had been the excitement of knowing that we are in Japan that woke us up.

[​IMG]

First destination is to Tokyo Station in the Marunouchi area. Main aim is to get our Shinkansen tickets to Kyoto which is our next destination in a couple of days time.

[​IMG]
    Tokyo Station

[​IMG]
    Getting a bite

[​IMG]
    Enjoying the meal

They have a good system to avoid slow decider occupying precious space in their eateries. You have to decide what you want to eat first, pay to the machine, get a slip which is also the receipt. Then get into the eatery, hand over part of the slip, find a place to sit and when your food is ready they'll call out your number and you'll be enjoying your food in no time. Yum!

I got a message from our Airbnb host that we can check in earlier so we decided to check in first so that we do not have to lug our luggage with us.

After checking in we went to check out the station in Shinagawa where we will be boarding the shinkansen so that we would not lost our way and miss the train on the day when we travel to Kyoto.

[​IMG]
    Snack Time - Takoyaki

A Takoyakiyatai in Shinagawa and it is our very first time eating it ... yum!

[​IMG]
    Takoyaki

[​IMG]
    Many Other Stores

[​IMG]
    Sorry because of some limitations, I'm not able to post the whole Tokyo trip here.
    Untitled.jpg

I'll continue with other parts tomorrow or so. If you like to read the whole post please visit my blog site - http://kk-lifenmemories.blogspot.my/2017/06/a-family-vacation-japan-part-1-tokyo.html
    Thank you :)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Wow ! This trip must be exciting for your family. What are the things you were eating ? Looks like a jelly topped doughnut.

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I'm not surprised your family jumped at the chance to visit Japan with you KK! I haven't been to Tokyo but I did visit Osaka and enjoyed it very much. Sorry that you had a problem with the post character limit.
    I had to laugh at the Mario Karts on your blog :D Did you enjoy seeing the plastic food in shop windows?

5. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Mart, those things are called octopus balls in English. The skin is made of wheat flour and grated yam with a piece of octopus in it. The texture of the batter is interesting, it looks solid but it is nice and juicy inside. The topping is mayonnaise and fish roe sauce, it is delicious!

No problem Frank :) Yes it is quite funny to see the tourist were willing to pay to dress funny and drive the cart around! The plastic food really look real and delicious.

Advertisement
  6. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Wow what a great start to your vacation KK! Looks like so much fun!

7. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Yes it was a great start, after months of planning I'm really happy that every one had a great time!
    Thanks Ronni :)