A few things I made for my garden

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by Jodilee, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Jodilee

Jodilee New Seed

2. Loading...

3. Canadian Chelsea

Canadian Chelsea In Flower

What a great imagination you have :stew2: I especially love the metal chandelier. Very creative!

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Love the 'faces' on the fence - what a great idea. I know just what I would use something like them for. I would hang hooks from the mouths and then attach bird feeders to them. :-D

Do you do a lot of mosaic work? A few of our members do this kind of thing too and it always amazes me how much patience must be needed to create such colourful and lovely items.

I have to admit that my favourite is also the metal chandalier and It would be given pride of place in my garden any day!!

I hope you will show us more of your creations soon. :stew2:

5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I love your creativity and sense of humor. The faces are especially cute :-D

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh wow, great projects! I've always wanted to do mosiac's.

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Ah, I like the artwork in the garden. The faces on the fence are funny. I'll bet your chandelier tinkles nicely when the wind catches it too.

8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I do love all of the things you have made.The faces are so cute and funny but my favorite is the chandelier.

9. Jodilee

Jodilee New Seed

Thanks All, I could really bore you by placing a slide show link of some of my dabblings....

My picture hosting website is currently acting up so I'm unable to update whats there but I will keep trying because i have far better fotos of my garden/art on my pc.

The faces are great if i make them a greater 'depth' so they stand more 'proud' by about 15 cm because then if you are really lucky a bird will go inside and make a nest as once happened a number of years ago.You just need to make sure there is good conyact with the wall and maybe fixed in some way to make sure it doesn't move away and let birdies fall out the back. :D

If you want to see animals of mine and some art stuff (not much of its for the garden) then feel free to take a look.

http://s668.photobucket.com/home/dirkle ... =slideshow

10. eileen

Oh boy where do I start?!! Your photographs are great Jodi. Love the one of the rabbit as well as those of your cats and ducks. :-D
    Your collection of artwork is really impressive. Do you sell any of it or is it simply a hobby that you enjoy? I love the lamps and heads and you have me drooling over those motorbikes. :drool: It was always my ambition to have a bike of my own but, sadly, it never happened. :(

It was also nice to put a face to a name and I think your hair is a gorgeous colour. :D

11. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Lots of talent there! I'll bet that shining mobile makes some pretty music too.

12. Jodilee

Jodilee New Seed

Glad you liked my stuff. I am compulsive maker and nothing is safe from my hands.

I have sold some mirrors I mosaic and a couple of the lamps but it is mainly a hobby because I'm not brave enough to market my stuff.

Here is another link for more fotos more garden related this time ( i think) I have been fighting with my pic hosting site all evening.

[​IMG]

IF YOU SEE JUST ONE PICTURE IN PLACE OF A 'LINK' JUST CLICK ON THE PIC IT SHOULD WORK.

13. eileen

Gosh you are a telented lady!! I love those lamps. :smt055 Is there any chance you could explain how exactly they are made 'cause I'm desperate to try one out for myself. I also love your mosaic head and would display it in my cottage any day. :D

14. Jodilee

Jodilee New Seed

Hi Eileen, OK the lamps..........I take strips of metal which i get from factories. (The strips are used to hold the goods/boxes on pallets)

I straighten the strips out by ahnd and any imperfections i think add 'character' When i have enough i lay approx 40 flat on the ground ( about 40 cm wide) and then i weave under and over each strip with yet more strips ( approx 30) in the opposite direction ( the warp and weft)

When I have woven a big flat sheet i simply roll it into a cylinder shape and weave the ends of the strips back into themselves. Its not always very neat but i put the 'seam' to the wall so it can't be seen.

The number of strips obviously determines the size and the size of the one i have described is approx 2 meters or 7 foot tall and so you can also make a smaller version. the diameter of the cylinder is also important because if its too broad then it eventually buckles and bends because it cant support its own weight. Too slender and its very very hard to roll. The one i described had a diameter of 10 in/25cm. Any questions i'll be happy to try and clarify for you. I have also added more pics to my slideshow one of which is a close up of one of my lamps so you can see the weave in better detail.

Its a lot easier than it sounds just weave a flat sheet and roll...........try a small version with paper first so you get the idea. The most difficult part is holding the thing still while you roll it and weave the ends in as it has a tendency to 'boing' open

LASTLY BE CAREFUL THE METAL STRIPS ARE SHARP!!!

Oh yeah i put coloured strip lights inside simply dangling suspended on a wire rod or i cram them full of christmas fairy lights which give a great effect but neither version gives enough light to read by they are purely decorative.

15. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

You are very talented. Love the lamps, chandelier, flowers and all of it!!

16. blackrose

blackrose In Flower

Love the faces too! You're very talented and those pics were great!