A Garden Variety

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Jun 6, 2024.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The rain prevented me from going to the lottie. Now the sun is peeking out from behind the clouds as I sit here swilling tea. I will post this then go.

Yesterday we got down to business and cleared the Limnanthus from under the blueberry bushes.
    IMG_4007.jpeg

That was a devilish chore with all the weeds in-between, the sliminess of the dying plants and the little red ants that you don’t see until it is too late…or should I say, “until you FEEL them”. Gurrrrr. I did take precautions though— long sleeves, long trousers and bug spray at the wrists, ankles and around the waist.

There was an enormous amount of plant material and it went directly onto the compost. This is good stuff.

Next we got outside the fence with a schoffel, rake, root-remover and a stiff broom. The result was pleasing to my eyes…which were burning because I had wiped them with my wrist. Remember the anti-bug juice?
    IMG_4009.jpeg

It is june now and the june drop has begun.
    IMG_4008.jpeg

I did the Chelsea chop back when the Flower Show was going on. The plants were not really ready for it.

Checking around, I saw that the Sugar Bon’s are getting ready. My Bride has put in an order for some this afternoon.
    IMG_4006.jpeg

On the Natural side— here is a spider web laden with pollen on it’s once sticky strands and holes from flying birds and or moths.
    IMG_3876.jpeg

During one of the many pauses, my Bride saw a worm standing on its hind legs waving about like a Malaysian leach in the forest. I couldn’t see it from the tea bench, so we went over to the stand of Ground Elder. There it was. T’was sort of uncomfortable looking at it and imagining its possibilities.
    IMG_4004.jpeg

The beast was very long, 8-10 cm. It had to be dispatched.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
    Melody Mc., Clay_22, Jewell and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Very nice :)as always pics of your garden with commentary is a special treat. A tidy garden just as if the garden elves had been working all night and left you a lot of treats to admire. Good job, :smt026

Melody Mc., Sjoerd and Logan like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thank you Pac. Such nice remarks. I will have to keep my eyes open for the elves. I owe them a round and a big thank you.

Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.
  5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Oooh, and ugh! what a creepy critter to find.
    The peas must have been delicious.

Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It truly was a creepy critter, jewell.
    Those peas were indeed sweetand tasty.

Jewell, Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.
  7. Clay_22

Clay_22 Young Pine

Red ants are some downright angry chaps

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Too right, Clay. It seems we have more this year than ever before. Gôh, they are annoying!

Jewell, Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.
  9. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Ooo absolutely if you have ever stepped into a red ant hole it’s a rude awakening. Red ants are vicious. Thankfully we don’t have red ants , but we have flying ants as big as a small cricket-called carpenter ants. They like to make nests in wood and can cause damage to homes . Those tiny sugar ants drive me crazy every year it’s always the same thing, same places and same use of ant control.

Jewell, Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

That was a wonderful tour Sjoerd. :) I've missed being able to visit your garden. I can see why your hard work was so rewarding. It looks beautiful. That worm....dispatching was definitely in order.

Pacnorwest and Jewell like this.