A good spider.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Kildale, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

I have a lot of spider images, but as many people don't like them, I don't post many. This is a good one though as it eats sow bugs/rolly polies or whatever you call them. It is its main diet.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Kildale's Garden )

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Ronni
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Kildale
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I really don't mind spiders and can look at photographs of them without any problems. As long as they stay outside in the garden then they are welcome to go about their business undisturbed by me. It's only when we get the big, black ones coming into the house that I have a bit of a problem with them. They move so fast that I find it hard to catch them under a clear, plastic cup. When I do I then slip a piece of paper underneath them, upturn the cup and return them to the garden.

4. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

Hi Eileen. I have a couple of bug catchers that work great for all the bugs and spiders.

[​IMG]

Open the trap and put it over the bug.

[​IMG]

Push it shut.

[​IMG]

Hold it up and the lid opens and the bug can fly or drop out of it.

Frank likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh I wonder if they sell anything like that over here? I must Google and find out. It would stop the odd spider from escaping from the cup and running up my arm as I try to put it back outside. :sete_079:

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I think spider pictures are very interesting. It helps us to be more aware of the good/bad ones around us. thanks for sharing them. Not all of us can take the pictures so everyone else can see them. I tried to take one of a wolf spider the other day as I was weeding the garden, it was protecting it's egg sac. I was amazed at how large the sac was. But the picture isn't that great, so any you take are always welcome.

For several years(not the last few, though) we always had these turquoise spiders behind the shed in July. I never was able to identify them. Maybe the next time I see them I will send you a pic, maybe you would have an idea of what they are.

7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Interesting tool, quite professional, sure beats my glass and index card.

Jerry

8. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

I love your spider pics! I've seen this type in my garden - glad he eats the sow bugs which seem to be everywhere. Do you happen to know it's name?

9. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

Of course, its a woodlouse spider (Dysdera crocata) I only post pictures that I have the name of. Here is a few more spiders. Click Spiders Around Us

10. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    REALLY, really cool spider photos. You must have the patience of a saint to get such great shots. Those are really incredible! Of course you had my favorite spider as your first photo too. :-D

11. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

Ooooo Kildare, I had to really force myself to look at your spider photos as they are so good but just looking at them makes me shiver :eek: The photo of the woodhouse spider is fantastic. It is interesting to see so many species, we only see the common garden and the house spider mainly but we do have some of the tiny body and long legged ones which take up home in our garage roof, I think they are called Harvestmen. Here are two photos I have taken of spiders (not as good as yours though). One of the common garden spider and the other a large house spider which I must admit to getting quite fond of as he was with us for a while before his demise. We named him Henry :D

[​IMG]
    Common garden spider ( photo / image / picture from Gardengirl's Garden )

[​IMG]
    'Henry' the house spider ( photo / image / picture from Gardengirl's Garden )

12. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I like spiders too..I just posted one of my garden spiders in the wildlife area along with my butterflys.

Quite a neat bug catcher you have. I have never seen one like that.

Great pictures...

13. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The cellar has an assortment of spiders, complements of the spider relocation program. Some make webs in corners where I watch them. The latest one has a web at the bottom of the stairs . For the past few days breakfast, lunch and dinner has been another spider. There is an egg sack nearby. It will be awhile before her children hatch Life goes slowly in the world of spiders.

Jerry