A hummingbird for Eileen

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by marlingardener, Jul 16, 2016.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Eileen has posted that Scotland (actually all of Europe) has no hummingbirds, but she loves to see them, even if at an arboretum or zoo.
    Here is a hummer in flight:
    hummer in flight.jpg

Sorry about the slight fuzziness of the image--those little birds are fast!

Frank and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thank you Jane. I doubt if I'll ever see one in the wild but your photographs make up for that. I'd be glued to the window if I could watch these tiny birds in my garden.:smt045

4. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I get hummers here year 'round. One variety called "Anna's hummingbird' stay all year long and then Rufus arrive in spring.

I love the little guys and have 4 feeders hung about the place. They buzz my back window and I love being able to watch them from inside the house.

DSC_0021.JPG

eileen, Frank and marlingardener like this.
  5. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

Great photos ladies :like: And like Eileen we never see them in the SOUTH of UK either. :setc_071:

Islandlife likes this.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Islandlife, we have Ruby Throated hummers, but not Anna's. We sit at our dining room table in the morning with coffee, watching the hummers come to the two feeders we have in a small flowerbed just off the patio.
    Do you have flowers that attract them? We have seen them feeding off zinnias! And of course, we have salvia greggii, tropical sage, and other flowers they like.
    hummer on Tropical Sage.jpg

And thank you Raddang--my husband is the photographer in the family, and you wouldn't believe the number of photos he takes before we get anything worthy of posting here!

eileen likes this.
  7. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Great photo Marlingardener :) :)

I have 2 feeders (round flat ones I can not longer find) that hang in front of a large bay window off the kitchen. I have 2 other small feeders hanging off hooks that I've stuck into the big plants pots I have on the back deck.

My gardens are a work in progess and I'm planting to attract humming birds but most of the plants are still small.

I did see one intrepid little guy feeding on the hostas planted in large pots out front of house. I'm getting there plant-wise :) :)

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Great shot MG! I have been trying to get my Hummers pictures for years and I all manage to capture is a blur!

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, the secret to getting good hummer photos is a little gin. Put a little, or a goodly tot, of gin in their nectar and it slows them right down :smt002:smt002!
    Just kidding Frank, please don't ban me from the Stew!
    Husband takes perhaps 20 photos before he gets a "saver." He opened the ISO to 1600, but said that he just kept checking until it looked bright, but since this was through a window the ISO would be different for outside. He set the shutter speed at 1/500ths of a second. All this is Greek to me, but it makes sense to him. I just cook and take care of chickens. :smt117