A little over-grown

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Cayuga Morning, May 11, 2019.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

IMG_20190504_075348.jpg
    This is the sign in front of our Community Garden. I have been gradening there going on 5 years. I did not even know the sign was there until someone pointed it out to me!!

I am going to see if I can generate some interest in cleaning it up a bit: hack back the overgrowth, repaint it, maybe add a sign saying (helpfully) 'Community Garden'.

I mentioned this to another member & her comment was, 'oh no let's put up 'Members Only'!! I asked her why we would do that & she said she didn't want non-members walking about. So I asked her what they would do and she didn't really have an answer. I was feeling devilish, so I said, well, this is a very comfortable town, I don't think we'd have starving people stealing our vegetables. Teenagers? Maybe they'd dug up a potato & eat it? Or grab a grean bean & munch it?

Fortunately, she began laughing at the absurdity of it!!

Frank and eileen like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I think your idea is spot on. With the sign cleared and repainted it will make the garden look as though the community care about their land. Non members may even be encouraged to join in and help out.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Eileen, yes. I think you are spot on. I am trying to create more presence in our town. No one knows we are here & we always have open plots & not enough annual fees collected to cover the mowing.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

So often community gardens are an uphill battle, but I think you will win, Cayuga!
    Would it be possible to get an article (and photo) in the local newspaper, or even have someone from a nearby TV station come to visit? There is nothing like publicity to stimulate folks to get off the fence and jump into a garden plot!

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

I think that is a great idea MG. We have a local newspaper that writes local interest stories.
    BTW, I just got the last new member. All plots are full now!

marlingardener likes this.
  7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    You are so lucky to have an underutilized community garden. Our neighborhood gardens had to put a lock on the gate. One year someone harvested all the garlic just prior to harvest and theft became a problem. Guess they had a vampire problem. Of course the community space in the garden also grows for the food bank and mission that supplies daily meals.

Living in an urban area I have found it interesting how people who have never had a garden view your yard/garden. Often I have found individuals ignorant of the work that goes into a garden and that it is rather like your pantry and grocery store. I had a dear friend ask if she could bring her grandchildren over to pick blueberries. The same individual ask if she could come and pick flowers for her daughter’s birthday. I she just wanted her grandchildren to have the experience of knowing where their food came from, (we have u-pick she could take the children to...was eye opening for what hard work harvesting is for my son) and the other for fresh flowers but I was a little startled both times. Fortunately I had previous appointments so neither worked out. Maybe that was a subtle hint.

When there is a surplus we share, both to friends, neighbors and the food bank. Am I so old fashioned to think “it is not polite to ask, but if offered then it is fine to enjoy?” Guess I am becoming pretty stodgy as I age.

Last edited: May 21, 2019