A New Year Begins ~ I Have Big Plans

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by rgasperson, Feb 4, 2010.

1. rgasperson

rgasperson Seedling

Hello Everyone.

Here I go Again. It is time to start the garden again. I wanted to start my Broccoli and cabbage this week, but it has been too cold. We have been having ice storms that have been trying to do their best to cause damage to my yard.

I am in the middle of building a mini-greenhouse (all I did was build a 4 sided frame and stapled plastic from soda bottles to it) and plan to use that to help me start my plants in this freezing weather.

Before the winter got here, we planted 4 fruit trees (Two Apple and Two Pear) I am looking forward to seeing these bud and grow.

We are planning to grow a lot of vegetable this year. I want to grow Cukes, squash, tomatoes, corn, broccoli, cabbage and a whole mess of herbs. I am even planning to grow something in my upsidedown planter I got as a gift last year.

The last few years I have documented my Garden Diary in Photos on http://roberttgasperson.com/articleblog/category/gardendiary/. This year I created a Blip.tv account and I am working on documenting my garden this year in video format. It will be fun I think.

2. Loading...

3. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Good luck to you with all your gardening endeavors! Your plans are making me anxious to plant and grow things too! It gets so hard to be patient in these last weeks of winter, doesn't it? and, Mother Nature gets to decide when spring arrives... :-|
    I'll look forward to hearing more about your gardens!

4. rgasperson

rgasperson Seedling

Thank You.

We have big plans this year. We asked for Gift cards for Lowes so we could go buy what we needed to get the grass to come in thick and to grow all the vegetables we could ever eat. I am excited and axious to get started.

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Plans are good to have, and I hope you'll get to set all your plans into life. :D Happy growing! It certainly looks like you're ready to start. :stew2:

Advertisement
  6. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Do you have plans for that soda bottle green house? I may have to build a small one for my early start stuff like my Zucchini and Gourds.

I look forward to hearing about your progress and success. I plan to do a lot of vegetables in containers this year and hopefully I will actually grow something that is edible this year besides Zucchini.

Will be watching your blog. :-D

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

It will be neat to follow your progress again this year! Good luck!

8. rgasperson

rgasperson Seedling

Milk Jug Greenhouse

[youtube]WHo4TCoXqQU[/youtube]

I saw this little project in a magazine I was reading on my lunch break, so I thought I would give it a try. I don't really think it will keep the frost back. I may have to rethink the idea. Till then, I will keep watering this jug and see if it will make the broccoli grow.

9. rgasperson

rgasperson Seedling

Snowpalooza Has Reached My Doorstep

We got a decent snow from that storm that has been ravaging nearly the entire country. We had it easier than most. We had a light dusting of about 4-5 inches. The snow was soft and light. It didn't even stick around for more than a day. It was fun while it lasted though.

My Youtube Video of the snow Broke. But it is on my blip.tv page at http://blip.tv/play/hYJCgcXhagA%2Em4v if you want to watch it.

10. rgasperson

rgasperson Seedling

I Planted My Seeds Inside Today

[youtube]6LpQ5qqWtdI[/youtube]

I probably should have started these two weeks ago, but I was hoping to start them outside. I went ahead and started just over 2 dozen plants in this one container. I am hoing they will grow decent enough and not crowd each other out before I get a chance to transplant them. I hope you enjoy the video.

11. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

I planted my seeds inside today

Hi Robert. I am enjoying watching you begin your garden. I wondered what part of S.C. you're in. I have relations in the upper part and down Simpsonville way too.
    I too am getting the itch to get my fingers into the earth and hide a few seeds beneath the dirt.
    I begin mine inside in small pots in potting soil and use a grow light for a few hours each day.
    I have a list ready for Seedsavers. Just have to call it in.
    I am pondering onion plants. I had my first success with potatoes last year and I want to follow a sort of rule of thumb for growing onions this year, so maybe I will do as well with them as I did with potatoes.
    Best wishes for your gardening efforts.

12. rgasperson

rgasperson Seedling

I live outside Charlotte NC. Love it here. Spent Most of my life in South Florida.

I am thinking about groing Garlic this year. I think it might be interesting to see if I can get them to grow.

13. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

A New Year Begins

Rgasperson, I wonder if growing garlic in N.C. would be anything like growing it in Michigan? Here, we set the bulbs out in the Fall, usually October. In N.C., it may be okay to plant in Spring. I would ask my local County Extension Service.

I ordered seeds from SeedSavers and learned later that I need quite a bit more, so I will either order more or buy plants locally.
    This past Sunday was so lovely, I thought Spring had sprung and got out the peat pots, trays, gloves, etc and planted a package of Sweet Spanish onion seeds. They are under the gro light awaiting the real Spring! Ah but it was so encouraging for that one awesome day!

14. rgasperson

rgasperson Seedling

Window Garden Update

[youtube]b-YrFbCkmZk[/youtube]

My broccoli and cabbage are up. still waiting for the peppers and the tomatoes.

15. TooManyWeeds87

TooManyWeeds87 Seedling

I got the itch too Robert. Brutal February here in Maryland, really was.

I liked your videos. Watching new seedlings I think is the most exciting part of growing. I just wanna stare at them as they emerge. Maybe I'm a kook, i dunno, but it's wonderful Haha

Newspaper pot was a great idea. I'm worried about the ink being toxic though. Do you know if that is a hazard?

16. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Many of us plant into newspaper pots Matt with no problems. They make it so easy to transplant seedlings as the newspaper simply rots away so go ahead and use it without any worries.