A Sanitary Situation

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Oct 26, 2020.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I think that being Amish is also a way of life shunning a lot of the English ways but they use their fair share of fossil fuels. engines, gas generators and willing to utilize anyone driving an automobile. they are greener than the average american but not all green by any stretch of the imagination.

2. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Growingpains likes this.
  3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Carolyn those videos were great! Thank you for posting them!

Growingpains, Sjoerd and carolyn like this.
  4. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Carolyn, I wonder if there is a perfect mode of life here.

carolyn and Cayuga Morning like this.

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

no, I don't think there is but we do the best we can to do as little permanent damage as possible?

Sjoerd likes this.
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cayuga, you are welcome. the 300,000.00 horse was a shocker. the Amish might be portrayed as very simple people and a way of life but money is not on the side of scarce for them. they work hard but don't spend it on the things that we do that are commodities such as electric, gas, insurance, clothing such as we wear... etc. ... anything you have to get a bill for they shun. they "do without it" whatever it is.

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

I have seen Amish the last few years near our farm in Western NY State. This is relatively new, I think they are gradually moving into the area.

A few years ago, I was heading into the local supermarket and an Amish man was walking towards me. It was the first time I'd seen an Amish person in the flesh and I am embarrassed to say I was just staring at him. Just all out staring. He flashed me a smile and I suddenly realized that of course he was a person too, not a caricature of a person. I was very embarrassed about my rude staring, but of course smiled back and the moment passed. Good for him, huh?

carolyn and Sjoerd like this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

When we travelled through Amish country a few years ago now, we were in a supermarket and the bloke in front of us in the queue was buying beer. The Amish (or perhaps a Mennonite) girl at the cash register would not press the key, so she asked the guy to lean across the counter and press the key, completing the sale. We were not sure if the girl was not allowed to ring-up the sale because of her religious convictions or because she was under age. The guy acted as if it was normal, but we were of course surprised.

It was an interesting work-around in either event.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

S. that is a little odd. even for me knowing as much as I do. If I remember to ask a friend the next time I see them I will try to find out. either would be a plausible answer but if it was because she was underage to sell it she still could not have had him ring himself up. that would be against the law here. now, if it wasn't my state it may not have been that answer either as I am not sure if its a federal law or a state law for the "legal age" to be the cashier selling the alcohol. which in my opinion is a stupid issue. anyone buying alcohol must show their state issued ID to purchase it. a cashiers age shouldn't be an issue. at this point there should be a "upc" bar on our licenses at this point. swipe the upc and the register continues to work... or not. legal ID and age.

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. Cayuga Morning

As an underage waitress in NJ, i wasn't permitted to take the alcohol order, serve it or ring it up. Not that this clarifies anything.

Sjoerd likes this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Still....interesting way of regulating .
    Like you guys, I am not sure what this actually accomplishes nor who benefits.

12. Cayuga Morning

@Jewell what happened to your posting?? It was interesting!!!