A scary goat event

Discussion in 'Pets' started by CritterPainter, Jul 11, 2007.

1. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

We are SO not used to hot temperatures around here, but the last thing I expected was this! I was filling my goaties water bucket, and no sign of Cecil- he usually sticks by Lucy Belle like a shadow. So I went searching through the scotch broom for him. Found him lying in the sun, and I couldn't see any sign of life. I knelt down by him, talking to him, thinking he was gone, and noticed his eyelids flutter. His breathing was very shallow and irregular. While I was wondering what to do next, I cradled his head in my arm and his eyes fluttered open. He slowly got to his feet, was apparently disoriented for about five minutes, then started munching on hay like nothing had happened. Now, I say all this because those of you who know will recognize right away the classic signs of a seizure- I've been witness to many, but never before in my goat! I'm suspecting the high temps, but after googling information, am beginning to wonder if I simply have an epileptic goat! Just another day on the funny farm, ack.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Tooty2shoes
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. FlowerFreak22
      Replies:
      Views:

3. diggerj

diggerj New Seed

Cecil

Does Cecil have relatives from Tenn.? There is a variety of goat grown here that faints when startled - the Tennessee Fainting Goat, of course. Just a thought. It is a genetic neurological disorder but the critters are usually healthy otherwise. :idea:

4. CritterPainter

Hi Digger, yes, I'm very familiar with the fainting goats and have always wondered if they are not actually having a type of siezure- have never observed the behavior of one after a "fainting spell".

5. diggerj

diggerj New Seed

Yes Critter, I would call it a seizure as the goat drops to the ground and remains motionless for a short period (maybe like a petit mal). My exposure has been only through TV and there was a recent filler on the subject on local news. Seems as if the degree of stimulus to initiate a seizure varies with each goat, at least according to the program. The duration is quite short and, again, the goat seems to have no ill effect from the experience.

Advertisement
  6. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Mary, I am glad Cecil appears to be ok. Could it have been a heatstroke.

7. CritterPainter

Checked into that, but his membranes around his eyes and gums looked fine, and he wasn't clammy 'tall. Just don't know, I'm keeping a close eye on him for a few days, until this inhuman heatwave passes.

8. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Poor Cecil . . . :eek: . . . poor YOU!!
    That would have scared me half to death! :(
    I'm so glad that Cecil seems to be fully recovered.

9. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh dear Mary that's a bit of a worry for you. It certainly does sound as though Cecil is an epileptic goat. Thing is they can swallow their tongues during a saeizure and if ther'e no-ne on hand ... well. Hope that it's just been an isolated incident maybe aggravated by the heat. :(

10. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Poor Cecil. I wonder if it was anything like this Mary? :

[youtube]XOf30xcDWS0[/youtube]

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

How scary for you Mary.

If it is a fainting goat, it is a muscular thing not a seizure. Myotonia congenita, it's a condition in which the muscle cells experience prolonged contraction when the goat is startled, they haven't really fainted they just can't move because of the muscle contractions. You could check into his heritage to see if any of his ancestors were full blood fainting goats.

But whatever it is, I hope it doesn't happen again.

12. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Mary, how hot have you been? I'm in Southern Oregon and I know the heat has really messed with me :( Hubby and I were replacing water lines last Saturday and the combination of heat & sun about did me in. Maybe Cecil is a fair weather goat, like me :D
    Deanna
    :-D

13. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I'm glad Cecil is doing better.I do hope its not a thing that keeps coming back.

14. CritterPainter

Cecil is a purebred Nubian. Eileen, the "swallowing the tongue" thing is an urban myth. With my daughter's siezures we would roll her on her side (no mean feat when it was grand mal) just to be on the safe side, but her neurologist assured us this was good more for keeping her from aspirating. Cecil seems to be just fine today, btw, and it's waaay hotter than yesterday.
    Deanna, you have my full sympathies! I have an aunt in, oh, whatever the place with the Shakespear festivals are is, and I love driving through there. But the temps, ouch! It's 88 right now, supposed to top 100 later.

15. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

She must live in Ashland! It is a beautiful place!! I'm about 1 hour west of her, just over the Cascades :-D
    Deanna
    :-D

16. CritterPainter

That's right, I keep mixing it up with Ashford, the company that made my spinning wheels, lol! Egads, must be much hotter on your side