A Train Ride, Alkmaar to Hoorn

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

zzz22bd.JPG

See the vid:

The vid is 20 minutes (you probably will not want to watch the whole thing) and 54 seconds long. Our lottie begins at about 18 minutes and 57 seconds.

Now then, this vid was taken by a train driver along the route between Alkmaar and Hoorn. It was taken at a time of year when little was growing, so the trip is relatively uninteresting. It is difficult to convey how our lottie complex is situated and how large it is, so if you look closely towards the end of the vid there will be an overpass and soon after there will be a RR crossing. Our allotment complex begins before the crossing and runs to after where you can get a glimpse of our garden. There are more than 200 gardens here.

In the screen capture above our lottie begins where the yellowish bamboo-like grass plant is and extends to where the little greenhouse is.

So then, you can see the red roof of our garden house and the greenhouse, but precious little else. It is a different perspective though.

S-H likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Logan
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Logan
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Very cool Sjoerd!!! It was fun seeing the whole allotment. I did not realize it was as big as that! 200 plots! Oh my.

I was also struck by all the water. Everywhere. Little mini canals diverting it.

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks much Cayu. Glad you liked that film. It would have been so much attractive had it been taken in the late spring or summer with the tulips or livestock in the paddocks...more foliage on the trees.
    Our allotments complex is large for an allotment complex, usually there are quite a few less lotties--like 10 or perhaps 20.

Yes, there is lots of water here. The canals are interconnected to take the water from the low-lying land and moving it up and out to sea through a series of ever larger canals. The low land is flat because a great deal of it is old sea-bottom. The mini canals to which you referred ate called sloten ("slow-ten" pronounce it). That is the plural, ONE of these is a sloot (pronounce it, "slowt"). Different sized canals have different names, but mercifully I won't get into that here. hahaha