A Walk In The Park

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Sjoerd, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We like to take a stroll, especially during the winter when we do not do any gardening. The park is right outside the front door and so the access is easy, therefore we have no excuse not to.

We have been having some spectacular sunrises and sunsets the past few days, so we wanted to go out just before the sun went under the horizon. Once the sun was under the horizon, the orange light was lovely to see.

Our stroll took us to the point of land at the head of one of the harbours here. The harbour skyline was lovely to see, but what we were surprised by was the presence of hundreds of flying starlings...murmurations ! There is always lots to see in the park and people to greet...but a murmuration--oh dear, then you have my attention. We both really enjoy watching them and it is spellbinding to behold, that's is for sure. Here a couple of pics taken with the smartphone:
    zzzba.jpg

zzzb.jpg

zzz9abcde.jpg

We took tens of photo's, and you know what?--You can never capture the spectacle as it is to experience it. Having said that, the photo's here do give an idea.

We stood and watched for about half an hour as they flew and went to roost, jumped up and flew again...they did this several times and we never did get a poop on us. We were amazed at how low to the water the murmurations went; usually we see them way up in the sky inventing their fluid patterns extemporaneously. Never a dull moment.

Henry Johnson, Logan, Jewell and 6 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

up in the sky inventing their fluid patterns extemporaneously--that's so poetic! Lovely sky color, also.
    This morning we had over a hundred red wing blackbirds and cowbirds perching in the trees, flying in circles, and coming back to perch. They were noisy, but their patterns were not as graceful as your starlings.

4. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

They're absolutely fantastic and has always amazed me how they dip, swirl, curve, double back and do it all again with grace and poise. Terrific photos!

Sjoerd and Cayuga Morning like this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What has me intrigued is that they never fly into one another. Isn't nature wonderful?

Sjoerd and Cayuga Morning like this.

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I have never seen a murmuration live, just a video of one. It must be something!

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

It is spectacular … haven't seen one in a very very long time!

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

JANE-- Poetic...tja, I don't know what came over me there. Well, to be fair--murmurations ARE poetic to see. One wants to hear classical music being played as they mumurate. hahaha.

Thank you ISLAND--It is amazing that they do not bump into each-other. I am glad that you liked these foto's.

EILEEN-- Yes, it is surprising how they do that without collisions. They usually show some murmurations on the " 'watches " don't they.

Oh CAYU--You have indeed missed something. Sometimes you have to hop into your auto and drive around looking for them either at sunrise or sunset. They tend to gather at the same places every day. We saw this murmuration just a few steps from where we live, and as you can see it was by the water that was once known as the Zuider Zee, so there were small waver lapping whilst the birds flew. The sounds of the waves made it impossible to hear the thousands of wings flapping as they murmurated. That is an added plus to the spectacle.
    I wonder if you cannot get some help in finding places there to see the display. You know like bird organizations in your state, Uni Science departments, or simply internet searches. I hope that you can find some places there.

Too right, KK--I hope that you will see some again.

9. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

You can watch videos on YouTube

Can be seen down south here, but we don't see many here anymore.

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. Cayuga Morning

Ha!!! It never occurred to me murmurations might happen this side of the Atlantic! I'll start by posting a message on our town's communication page. All kinds of things get posted there, and a lot about wildlife.

In a total total non sequitor, here is a local creature inhabiting our town. With call him the Solstace creature with his own creature. His is on the right, can you see it?
    IMG_20191201_141052.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Jewell, Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  11. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Looks like a warthog or something similar to me.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Your guess is as good as mine. Creative though!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hey CAYU--What is a "sequitor"? I do not know that word.
    I do see a tusked thing off to the right--is that a boar?

That was a nice vid, Loggie.--Vivaldi was a good choice for the background music I thought.

14. Cayuga Morning

SJ, I guess I am not really sure...I think it comes from Latin and means something like 'follow' . Or 'sequence'. ( See the similarity...sequitor, sequence?) In the States, we use it in the negative 'non sequitor' to indicate that we know this next subject does not really follow the previous subject. In other words I acknowledge I was hijacking your thread!

Sjoerd likes this.
  15. Cayuga Morning

Re the boar like thing, again I don't know. The artist was a young white woman in long dreadlocks and she was mysteriously noncommittal about what the creatures' were.
    I agree with you & Eileen though, it does look boar-like

Sjoerd likes this.
  16. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh...got it, Cayu. Thanks for the explanation.
    No probs with the hijack, it is about over anyway.
    Some day when you are famous, I can say that I was hijacked by you. With that name-dropping story and 50 cents, I can get a cuppa perhaps. ;)

Cayuga Morning likes this.