Adapting recipes for canning

Discussion in 'Food Preservation and Storage' started by Netty, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Now that I have tried canning pickles, jams, meat and veggies I am feeling adventurous about trying other things. I want to avoid freezing as much garden produce and canning instead as I want to save freezer space for meat. I am wondering if there is a rule of thumb for adapting recipes for canning and how long to process? For example ... I like to make red cabbage and apples in the fall with garden produce and I usually freeze it. I am wondering if this could be canned instead, and how long I would need to pressure can it for? Or my moms recipe for kale with smoked bacon? Would I can it for as long as the longest ingredient needs?

2. Loading...

3. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I've tried it and on something's it worked and others it didn't. I did can venison stew and it turned out okay but the carrots were too soft from over canning, still good but at the same time the potatoes were perfect. I didn't look for any recipe's but I'm going to check and see if I can find some. I like the idea of opening a jar that is a meal in one plus saving my freezer space also. I just checked 'on line' and there are some recipes and instructions on soup plus more.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I've found that recipes that incorporate tomatoes do the best. Marinara sauce (but I freeze this because even a pint jar is a LOT for two people), meatless chili canned, and then added to browned beef and heated, and apple pie filling--no tomatoes! It's nice to have a quart of apple pie filling ready to put into a pie shell, bake, and have it ready for dinner dessert.

5. Netty

After doing a lot of digging, I did find some info about canning red cabbage and apples. It has vinegar and sugar and so it seems that it can be processed in a water bath canner for 20 minutes. This is great! Now to look for kale and double smoked bacon instructions ...

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Would you care to share that cabbage and apple recipe ? Sure sounds good.

7. Netty

Sure! I found this particular one on a Facebook Prepper and survivalist group page. It is pretty much the same as my recipe, only it includes canning directions. I used to freeze it.
    You need 3/4 cup water, 1 head red cabbage shredded, 3 apples peeled and chopped, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground allspice, 1/4 tsp ground cloves, 2 tablespoons butter, canning salt. DIRECTIONS: Place water in a large saucepan and stir in cabbage, stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender. Now it's ready to serve. CANNING: Sterilize jars. Separate the cabbage from the juice. Add 1/4 cup canning salt for each head of cabbage used. Add the canning salt to the juice and bring to a boil until the salt is dissolved. Fill each jar half full with cabbage, add 1 cup juice to each pint jar, 2 cups juice for quart jars. Fill each jar the rest of the way with cabbage. Use a no metallic utensil to remove air from the bottom and sides of the jars. Leave 1/2 inch head space at the top of the jars. Put the lids on the jars tight then back off 1/2turn. Place jars in canner and bring to a boil, then process for 20 minutes. Then turn off heat and let jars sit in the canner for 5 minutes. Remove jars from canner and place on a towel (not on a cold surface)cover jars with a towel and let sit overnight. Remove rings, check seals on lids, wash, label and store.

8. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

You can pressure can the cabbage and apples for 20 minutes also.

Netty likes this.