Adding an offset fire box to a vertical smoker.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by jbest123, Aug 19, 2013.

1. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

I used a “smoky Mountain” vertical smoker and a “Brinkman” off set fire box. I thought this would be a long and detailed post but the big time consuming part was assembling the smoker and fire box. The tools you would need to join the two are a Phillips screw driver, crescent wrench, drill/w 1/4” drill bit and a saber saw with a metal cutting blade. I put the two on a work table for a more comfortable working height.
    [​IMG]
    p1 by tsebmj, on Flickr

I positioned the two where they would be located. I was surprised that the fire box had a large elliptical shaped hole for heat/smoke transfer. I traced the ellipse and bolt holes with a pencil then cut the ellipse and drilled the bolt holes.
    [​IMG]
    P2 by tsebmj, on Flickr

Man that looks like a big hole but every thing lined up nice.
    [​IMG]
    P1110002 by tsebmj, on Flickr

Brinkman includes the parts necessary to use the fire box as a stand alone grill, a larger elliptical plate with draft control. I decided to use them to reduce the heat/smoke to the smoker. If the reduction is to much I will cut a 4” diameter hole through the ellipse. If the reduction is still to much I will just eliminate the ellipse. As soon as the weather breaks I plan to build a fire in the fire box and burn off any manufacturing residue and see what kind of temperature range I will have.
    [​IMG]
    P1120004 by tsebmj, on Flickr

eileen and S-H like this.
  2. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Great plan. Just be sure to let us know when supper will be ready. :D

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gosh John is there anything you can't do? I could do with someone like you around here.