adding paraffin wax to chocolate to melt

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by semajrn, Oct 23, 2009.

1. semajrn

semajrn New Seed

I sometimes have difficulty melting chocolate chips for dipping. The resulting mixture is either too thick to dip into , or, it begins to seize, making it impossible to dip into at all. I have read that the addition of paraffin wax to chocolate chips will facilitate the melting of the chips, enabling the melted chips to become smooth and liquified enough to dip easily. Does anyone know if this works, if it is safe, and if anything else works better? I have tried adding shortening, oil, and butter, but wonder if this works better. I saw Paula Deen, and other chefs, use this on TV.

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've never tried paraffin wax to melt chocolate with semarjrn. I thought it was only used to make the chocolate more shiny. :-?

I put the chocolate peices into a bowl then sit the bowl in a pan of boiling water. Around an inch of water in the bottom of the saucepan is enough to melt the chocolate. Stir well until the chocolate has completely liquified.As long as the bowl sits in the hot water the the chocolate won't solidify.

You could also microwave a cup of chocolate chips at half power for 30 secounds. Stir and keep heating it for 20 - 30 seconds at a time until it melts.

3. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

I used parafinn in melted chocolate. It keeps it liquid but also helps the chocolate "set" when you dip your candies, cookies, pretzel or other goodies. I can't remember how much I used. I would have to look it up. wannabe

4. brombear

brombear Seedling Plants Contributor

Well sure paraffin will make it shiny if you don't mind filling your body with non digestible petrochemical byproducts. Or you could add a few drops of glycerin instead