Adding plants to the plants section

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Comments / Help' started by Joe Caudex, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Joe Caudex

Joe Caudex Seedling

Can anyone do this?

I've searched a lot of my house plants there and there are no results for any of them!

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sure you can Joe and we love it when members do. When you search for a plant and it isn't there, click on the Suggest It link and enter the botanical name of the plant and click Send Suggestion.

When the plant has been added to the database you will be notified and you can go to the plant page to enter any information you have and upload photos.

5. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

Also some botanical names have recently been changed which may be why you can't find them.

Advertisement
  6. toni

And double check your spelling. One too many letters, a missing letter or reversing the order of a couple of letters can result in not finding the plant. It's amazing to me how many plants I have bought over the years that have the plant name incorrectly spelled and that's by the grower!

Sometimes a plant name is a Synonym (usually because of name changes and reclassification of the plant) and the plant may be in our database under it's other name. You can always do a Google search for the plant name you have to make sure it's correct.

7. Joe Caudex

Joe Caudex Seedling

Thanks guys. I did notice the suggest function, just wasn't sure if there was a different way for members.

8. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

I have a question about labeled plants that don't seem to have a species name. Thought this discussion would be good to host this question since I have many plants I feel like I can't add because of this.

In the pic below are 3 plants. I found the one on the right in the database. About the two on the left, is it possible to add plants like this? Is the species name just known/assumed by those who already know? If this IS the extent of the correct botanical epithet, that would be great, but I suspect it's not that easy.

The labels say, left to right:

Sedeveria 'Blue Elf'
    Graptoveria 'Titubans'
    Crassula marginalis rubra 'Variegata' Calico Kitten (found this)

[​IMG]
    new cuties ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

9. toni

Not all plants have a species name, some (as yours are) are 'cultivars' of the Genus. So you can suggest them as Graptoveria 'Titubans' and Sedeveria 'Blue Elf'

10. purpleinopp

Ooooh! That's cool. I thought it would be necessary to research the parents and decipher/record one of those long names with x's n'such. I have a "no attempts to ID Begonias" rule because of this. They're either pretty or not. Thanks!!

11. toni

Before adding suggested plants to the database we do some searching on the web to verify that the name is an accepted,registered one and not just a name that a nursery decided to give it. You might be surprised at how many times plant tags are incorrect.

There are a few plants we have found that are actually hybrids (that's where the x comes in) instead of cultivars. Those we correct when we enter them. And sometimes the label doesn't include the species name when it should, we will correct that too after investigating it.

Petunias are ones that I have decided I really don't care to ID. If I like the color I really don't care what the name is.
    :rolleyes:

12. purpleinopp

OK, thanks! I feel much more comfortable now about contributing responsibly, knowing somebody with more knowledge about these things double-checks them.