Advice on how to stop dogs doing their business on lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by petunia, Mar 12, 2008.

1. petunia

petunia Young Pine

We have a hill down in front of our front yard. There are some pine trees that are there and some small pines that I have planted in hopes years from now it will look woodsy. The idea is to hide our house from the road.
    My problem is that we have a neighbor that also walks their dog and allows the dog to walk and do its business on our hill. Here the pict.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm thinking about putting up an lattice fencing along the front. about 2ft high.
    This is an idea of the fencing only laying down length way:
    [​IMG]
    Right now in that big blank spot there is only tall weeds that come up-giving me the job of hacking them down. So along with the pine trees I'm wanting to also plant in some periannials to also make it colorful and pretty.
    My question is: if you can amagine the fence up, Do any of you think that would look nice? I'm looking for something to keep dogs from doing their business on my land. picts or opinions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Spring_rain
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Stax
      Replies:
      Views:

3. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Good idea Petunia, the lattice seems like it would do the job.

I'm afraid that I was a bit dishonest with one of my neighbors
    in a similar situation. [​IMG] (I know, I know, I'm a BAD girl!)
    I put up some small stakes, with cord tied between them,
    then I told her that I had treated the area with a dangerous poison (absolutely NOT true)
    because of an infestation of moles underground (that part is partially true [​IMG]).
    In reality, I would never so much as sprinkle red pepper on the ground,
    for fear of causing harm to any wildlife.

Anywho, I told her that I was very worried that her "darling" (grrrrr) little pooper
    might inhale some of the poison and get very sick.
    I also posted a couple of small "Danger" signs to remind her.
    I noticed that she began to walk her dog on the other side of the road. [​IMG]

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oh, Zuzu, you are horrible. Well done! :D

If I were Petunia, we would see a five foot tall green netting fence by the road, and berberis and Rosa pimpinellifolia by that fence. They've got lovely thorns.

I admire your patience, Petunia. The fence looks lovely, and your hill will still look inviting even though it's inaccessible for pooches.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Zuzu your are terible .... but I like you!!!! :D :D

Petunia I think your idea of fencing is the only real solutiuon to your problem and should look great. What a pity you have to go to the expense and the trouble of erecting trellis fencing though. Why can't people respect others properties?!! :-x

Advertisement
  6. petunia

petunia Young Pine

Eileen. you are so right. I have talked to this neighbor and even let her know I had trees growing on the hill. Still she lets her dog on my hill. Maybe I should do ZuZu's idea only, that probably wouldn't work for me in that her hubby is the main policeman around here. I wanted to just put a sign in the front. But my next door neighbor did that-it read "here lies the last dog that pooped in my yard" After that I didn't think it looked real nice so this is when my fence idea came into mind.

7. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

ZuZu you are terrible but I love it. Sounds like something I would do.

Petunia, the fence sounds like it'd be a good solution and look on the bright side...it gives you a whole new area to plant and brighten up. Happy planting. Please post us some more pics when it's done. Can't wait to see.

8. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Atta' girl ZuZu... I would have done the exact same thing, but probably would have gotten into a war of words first!

I had this problem with a neighbor once who let his'darling' Pomeranian(sp) visit our front yard. While I was in the front yard he came out and put his dog down and here she came a running (like I was calling her). I started trying to run her back into her yard and he ask me what was wrong. I told him very matter of factly that 'I didn't want his dog sh*tt*n in my yard'. The little cutie didn't come visiting again!

9. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Hahahaheheheh
    Zuzu you are really something - :D
    I fact I think there is a person who just waits for me to leave my house before they walk their dogs and when I come back from either the gym or my running I am always greeted by fresh poop about 3 to 5 meter from my front gate.
    I think I should start manufacturing 'danger signs'.

10. petunia

petunia Young Pine

First of all, I want to thank all those who responded.
    Hubby doesn't agree with my fence. He would like to keep the yard uniform. Bring the current fence on around the front. Here's a few picts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We have taken these post from trees that were taken down when we moved in. Its on both sides of driveway and up the back too.
    My concern I told him, I really don't think it'll keep out the dog as it is a white german shepherd. It could still run under the post. I could use some ideas as to what would be good to grow tall on the inside of this fence-maybe that would deter the dog from crawling under.

11. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

The afore-mentioned Berberis perhaps? :scheming:

I guess anything bushy and/or unyealding will help, especially if it's got thorns. If you plant pretty perennials there, will the dog owners be considerate enough to keep their animals away from your hill then?

One way to get the owner to keep her dog on the other side of the road, is to spread a good amount of cow dung down there. To help fertilize the soil, of course. I guess nobody will want a dog with manure paws in the house.

12. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I agree that keeping the same style of fencing will look best - maybe go ahead with that and see if it sends a loud enough "this is our property boundary, stay on the other side of it!" message or not before going to the expense of additional plantings.

Sheesh...why can't dog owners just carry a scooper or plastic baggies with them and dispose of it? :-(

13. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

Oh I know, Primsong . . . I have been walking at the park, and although there are little bags provided . . . you wouldn't believe the dogs doing their business on the walking path . . . and then not only is it discouraging for walkers, bicyclists, and skate boarders . . . but also the children who play ball on the grass . . . I know that dogs have to go . . . but their owners should be willing to clean it up . . .

Zuzu: I love your novel idea to protect your yard ;) . . . I stepped in dog doo while cleaning kudzu from my bank on Monday afternoon :twisted: . . . our neighbors just let their dogs roam wild . . . pooping where they may . . . we are out of town, so there is not much use in complaining. . .

14. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

Petunia, I love Droopy's idea. That's a clasic. The thorn bushes may help also. If I can think of anything else I'll let you know. In the mean time I'm storing away the ideas already posted in case they are needed sometime.