Alberta, Alberta Where Ya Been So Long

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, May 19, 2022.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am calling this mornings’ extended series of showers…which are still happening now at 15.00 hours, Alberta. It has been intermittent, slow and steady with periods of hard downpour causing fog. The temp outside has dropped to 16C. Burrrrrrr. A deep contrast with yesterday’s sauna-like conditions.

Yestrday was not a good to go play with the bees; but I felt obliged to, as the girls were filling up the their living spaces with honey, leaving less and less room for the queen to lay eggs— prime conditions to incite a swarm to seek out a new dwelling.

So then, each hive had two honey supers, the second of which was becoming full. I put on a bee remover board and will go out to the lottie this evening and collect the two full supers to be stored until it is time to sling the frames.

The long period of dryness has had everyone giving water every couple of days. Somehow these gardeners have missed the info that a good and thorough soaking is better than several superficial water-giving moments.

Alberta, where’ya bin so long.

One has to have some kind of sense of humour to deal with climatological challenges…and what life throws at you even for that matter. My niece has sent my Bride a couple more funny fotos.
    upload_2022-5-19_16-8-34.png

upload_2022-5-19_16-9-5.png

upload_2022-5-19_16-9-37.png

upload_2022-5-19_16-10-13.png

upload_2022-5-19_16-10-40.png

upload_2022-5-19_16-11-11.png

upload_2022-5-19_16-11-46.png

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    eileen and Odif like this.
  2. Odif

Odif Young Pine

About the watering, it is still spring so young plants may require frequent watering till their roots are long enough.

Sjoerd likes this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You are absolutely right about that, Odi…and I water those youngkies more frequently too, precisely for the reasons you outlined. It’s the older, more well established veggies and blooming plants that I have been so worried about.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sjoerd, so many Texans could use that "kooching" in vocabalary and gramer! Wonder if the kooching is offered on-line?
    You can send Alberta to us! This has been a difficult year for gardening. We are 11" below normal on rainfall, and 10 degrees above normal for temperatures. We water something daily deeply, hoping that will hold those plants for a day or two while we water everything else. Rain is predicted for this coming weekend. We are hoping and praying and offering sacrifices to the rain gods that the predictions are true. If we don't get rain, there are a bunch of meterologists that are in deep trouble.

Melody Mc., Odif and Sjoerd like this.
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Jane, it sounds like you need Burt Lancaster to pass through there…or some sort of a hoochie-koochie man.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
    marlingardener likes this.