Albizia julibrissin 'summer chocolate' mimosa - my opinion

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by blissful photons, Apr 23, 2012.

1. blissful photons

blissful photons In Flower

I moved this tree so I can't get a good overall picture, but here are the leaves starting to darken.

I rarely promote using a certain plant specifically, but this tree deserves it. They are expensive and make sure yours is grafted if you decide to get one: and make sure you watch and remove any understock suckers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Well who's opinion did you take?"
    "I don't ask for opinions."
    "Well, who's judgement did you go by?"
    "Mine."

2. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

What's the difference (besides the leaf coloring) between this and a "regular" Mimosa?

3. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

I don't think there is one. And also, why grafted?
    Doesn't make sense to me. To graft such a tree.
    And personally... I prefer the one with green leaves. But that is just me :)

4. blissful photons

blissful photons In Flower

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only differences are the leaf color and the flower is reportedly darker pink. I have not seen the flower so can't say anything about that.

There are several reasons for grafting this tree. Every tree came from one seedling out of a group from a grower in Japan. (Pretty lucky fellow). To rapidly increase the available supply, grafting affords this as no uncertain rootings of cuttings is necessary. Sometimes these sports do not grow as well on their own roots, and grafting gives a superior root system. This is very common with rare forms of certain cacti and succulents. Also, this tree will have a better chance of not reverting back to solid green. I read the reports and if I remember, not one tree has ever reverted back to green.

It is a personal preference whether one prefers green or 'chocolate.' These type plants usually are sought out by serious collectors of unusual sports and forms. If you want to see an extreme example of this, check out all the Agave cultivars available.

I don't consider myself a serious collector, just a curious gardener. My tree came from Wayside about 3 yrs. ago and put me back about $150.00. I probably won't leave any money, but someone's going to inherit a whole lot of plants.

We have the normal green all over the city and are spectacular when in bloom.

[​IMG]

This tree is not native and has become naturalized, almost.

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

My regular "green" Mimosa is full of blooms right now too. The butterflies and hummingbirds just love it.