All new gardens

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by GinnyC, Apr 19, 2015.

1. GinnyC

GinnyC Seedling

Being that it's only my second growing season here I'm trying to get a few little gardens established. Last year I mainly dug up and cleared out the areas and planted annual seed. It did look nice all summer into fall but I'm really trying to add perennials this year. Here's what they look like now (the before pictures) and hopefully by summer I'll be able to show you full blooming gardens. We will see. I have my front stump garden, backyard stump garden and sedum slope all dug, weeded and planted up including some seeds. Everything is labeled but not sure if you can read it, lol.

P1010135.JPG
    P1010145.JPG
    P1010146.JPG P1010148.JPG

2. Loading...

3. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

It looks like you have been putting in a lot of work. It looks good now and I'm looking forward to seeing it later this year.

4. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

Looking good. They will fill in fast. Can't wait to see later pix

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well you've certainly been busy Ginny!! The beds are looking great and, before you know it, will have filled in nicely for you and will be real show pieces.

Advertisement
  6. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. Looking good and much hard work done. Everywhere in you folks gardens it all looks/is so spacious - not like the average tiny ( if any much at all) gardens here. Your situation there reminds me very much of my own first garden which for here was a reasonable size at 200 x 45 ft in a rectangle - much smaller but was likewise just a patch of meadow grass and there had to be a start somewhere with a few beds cut into it All so very exciting just like a blank canvas and you can paint what you like on it. Much pleasure and enjoyment ahead for you as it develops - again as there was for me. Have fun. Syd.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Looking VERY good, those lilies and hyacinths will fill in nicely. Before long you will be expanding those beds and creating new ones simply because you found just one more perennial that you love and need a place for. ;)

8. GinnyC

GinnyC Seedling

Sydney, your right about the space. It is so overwhelming because we do have so much property now. We have ten acres and a lot of it is all grass and wildflowers. Those beds look tiny compared to the property around them but they are pretty big.
    Thanks everyone for all the support. I'm hoping Tony, that they fill in as expected.
    I'll keep updating the photos as the summer progresses.

9. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi again. One of the key words with filling in large spaces is PERENNIALS ( as mentioned by Toni) - not only for themselves and the huge range and variety of them but also that given an even break they are more or less permanent and as they increase can be divided over and over to make more and more plants. With all that space several plant groups spread around of the same type will work well - in the tiny gardens here to get a good selection it more or less has to be one group/plant and that's it. The wild flowers growing naturally sounds very attractive and in them nature creates her own garden which in turn attracts all the other things in the way of insects etc. It sounds/looks to be a wonderful site you have there. Syd.

10. GinnyC

GinnyC Seedling

I definitely like perennials but I still like to throw some annuals in here and there. The problem is finding perennials that won't make me go broke. For years I have been starting them from seed but I just don't have the patience to wait for some of them to get to blooming size. I guess I would like instant gratification. lol I have to start think about buying big plants, more flowering shrubs would be my best bet. My old garden was on the small side but so nice and filled in everwhere, it had something blooming at every different time of the growing season.

11. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Looks like you have a great start on those gardens Ginny! I SO remember the days when I had just started the gardens here ... there was SO much I wanted to do and it was a little overwhelming. Especially when I saw the price of perennials!! I have found that friends that garden are always looking for homes for those 'splits' from their own gardens and that is a great way to expand. I agree with you ... I like annuals in my beds too, for some all season color. Looking good Ginny, I can wait to see them all filled in :)

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Netty makes a good point. Gardeners with established beds are frequently happy to give away divisions. Better than throwing them on the compost heap! You could try offering annual seedlings in return. I agree with you, I like a combination of perennials & annuals. The annuals tend to bloom all season.

13. GinnyC

GinnyC Seedling

Unfortunately I haven't found anyone here yet that likes to garden. I keep looking though!:like:

14. Cayuga Morning

Does your town have a annual garden show? I think VA does every year at the same time in various communities through out the state. It has probably passed by now though (late April?). Keep it in mind for next year. It can be a nice way of meeting other gardeners.

15. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Is there a Craigs List or Freecycle in your area? I used to see plants for free or very low prices but I haven't looked in a while.

16. Cayuga Morning

Good idea 2ofus. Where I live, the local garden club has a spring sale of plants that are hardy to the area. The prices are usually pretty good.