Alliums this weekend

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by Clay_22, Feb 11, 2023.

1. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Gonna give this a try by seed. Always bought starters. I am doing Leeks, red Cipollini and yellow Spanish Utah.

AAnightowl, Sjoerd, Droopy and 2 others like this.
  2. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I thought you meant the flowering alliums. I planted bulbs for the purple ones about 2 years ago. The blooms are lovely, and they are up and going for the third season.

I planted seeds for red onions last year. About 3 or 4 seeds sprouted and died quickly. Bummer.

I have been trying and trying to find really STRONG onion sets/starters/seeds for large white, yellow or red onions. All I can find is those wishy washy sweet onions. I prefer the kind that make the tears run down your face.

I do have Egyptian walking onions, and they do very well. However, they are a mild onion and similar to a shallot and have a small bulb. I also have chives, but forget to use them.

Droopy and Pacnorwest like this.
  3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Wishing you luck with your sowing, @Clay_22. I'm just waiting for the Allium ursinum to start growing in the woods so I can go for a hike and pick them. My husband planted some sort of Allium sativum last autumn. They're sprouting now, crazy things.

Pacnorwest and eileen like this.