Almost free Plant Markers

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by toni, Apr 3, 2006.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Store bought ones are expensive when you have more than 10 plants in the garden besides I love the challenge of looking at something about to be thrown away or just taking up space in the closet and coming up with something to make with it.

My daughter and hubby take their music CD's out of the plastic cases they come in and store the CD in a carrier. So we end up with bunches of cases that they don't want.

Take apart the cases, remove CD holder insert. Now you have two plant marker wannabes. Use good old Sharpie markers to write and draw on one half of each one (the lower half goes into the ground). I used the really broad tip Sharpies and painted the background color on the backside, then used the medium size tipped ones to write and draw on the other side. The Sharpie will not come off in water, I have tried using my fingernail to scrape it and it has no affect. That is good for actually using them in the yard, but also means that mistakes are there for eternity.

[​IMG]

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

You sure are one resourceful lady Toni :smt023 I think those plant markers look unique! Start selling them on eBay :D

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Another great idea Toni!!! Also they'll add splashes of colout to any winter garden. :D

5. toni

Splashes of color in the winter garden will look good, Eileen....but mainly late next winter when I start cleaning out the garden for spring again I won't be standing in the middle of the garden looking at clumps of dormant plants and asking myself.....what the heck is that?????

Frank, I told Randy that you suggested selling them on ebay and he jumped on the idea, I am warming up to it. Might just have to make a few blanks and see what happens.

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Let us know how it goes Toni :D Have you sold stuff on eBay before?

7. toni

I had 15 unquilted quilt tops that I finally realized I was never going to quilt so I sold them on ebay a couple of years ago and have sold some books and a few lots of fabrics that I am not going to use.

Randy and Amanda have had more luck than me on ebay lately. Randy had a Pacman watch that you actually played the game on....it sold for $150
    We have a friend who has been in the retail end of the photography business for 20 years, he just recently retired so he and his wife are going to start up an ebay store. He takes our pictures for us so they look really good.

8. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Toni, I really like the plant marker idea also. My kids always take their cds out of the cases and put them in a carrier too, so we also have loads of them laying around.I never would have thought of them for markers,Thanks for the tip!!

9. blackrose

blackrose In Flower

wow! :eek: really!i salute you for resourcefulness and creativity! :oops:

10. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Great idea. I can usually remember the plant but not always the variety. 8)